Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kuryakyn L.E.D. Battery Gauge

For my 73rd birthday I treated myself to a Kuryakyn L.E.D. Battery Gauge
    whats the feeling on installing it by splicing it onto the orange wire coming from the ignition switch or attaching it directly onto the battery and using a relay ?

The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

With those two choices, I would rather use a relay.

There are a couple of reasons for that. One is that you are already reading a possible voltage drop after the ignition switch. Another is that the only fuse between the meter and the battery is a 15-amp fuse, and it's the MAIN fuse. That meter draws a mere fraction of an amp, so if some wires get crossed or damaged, there is going to be a LOT of smoke. If something happens to your wiring,

One comment on locating the gauge itself. If you ride very much at night, place the gauge where you can see it, but it's not pointing directly at you. The LEDs are rather directional and shine rather brightly, which is very distracting at night. If all your riding is in daytime, having it pointing directly at you lets you see the LEDs better.

Did you get the black one or the chrome?

Oh, yeah, pictures of the install are definitely required.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi I ordered the black one, you stated out of the two choices you would go with the relay. My question, is there an alternative method you would recommend ?
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Orange wire is the best imo. Rather than a "splice" you might slip the bare "+" end in at the multi-connector, with a bit of glue or tape applied nearby to hold the wire so it doesn't winkle itself out....likewise its "-" groundwire can be slipped right through the bullet on any handy B/W (Black/White stripe)...the "bullet" ends are hollow. Just pass the bare end right through it and give it a little bend where it comes through and push the connection back together..or, similar.

Avoid "splices" whereever you can, especially installing doofunnies.
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-22-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
          Hi I ordered the black one, you stated out of the two choices you would go with the relay. My question, is there an alternative method you would recommend ?
          A lot of that would depend on exactly which voltage you want to track.

If you want to track BATTERY voltage, you will want to use a relay that is triggered by a switched wire. The relay will be connected to the battery (through a fuse, of course) and the trigger can be provided by the SIGNALS fuse. It's a bit of overkill, but will give you the most accurate BATTERY voltage.

If you want to track a LOAD voltage, just slip your power lead for the meter in a connector for a coil or the headlight, like gorminrider suggested.

In my opinion, battery voltage is more important to know.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I used a relay for mine as voltage at the coils with stock wiring at best will be 0.5 volt below that of the battery. Same point of voltage I used when I ran the Honda RRs with the voltage sense wite.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

meh. Why does a super accurate inclusion of a 1/2 volt matter in this instance? You just want to know if there's a change.

Check at the battery, compare to connection on orange wire and remember the difference. The difference won't change...if it does, that's an indication of trouble too. (key switch, loose fuse,etc)

not to mention the relay itself uses power and drops system voltage (albeit slight), and adds complication.

not to mention (in the extreme) that the voltmeter itself drops voltage....relays are "baroque" where they're not needed.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-22-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                meh. Why does a super accurate inclusion of a 1/2 volt matter in this instance? You just want to know if there's a change.

Check at the battery, compare to connection on orange wire and remember the difference. The difference won't change...if it does, that's an indication of trouble too. (key switch, loose fuse,etc)

not to mention the relay itself uses power and drops system voltage (albeit slight), and adds complication.

not to mention (in the extreme) that the voltmeter itself drops voltage....relays are "baroque" where they're not needed.
                Generally it doesn't matter except for maybe those with OCD and using a relay where is not required does add one more point of failure. Problem with the warning LEDs on this particular meter is if it reads low it could trigger a false negatiive by lighting the red LEDs. If one is alright with that then carry on. Also the Honda RRs with the sense wire will overcharge by whatever the voltage loss in the system is and will boil the battery dry in a few thousand kms.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

if it reads low it could trigger a false negatiive by lighting the red LEDs
                  Yes, It might show low a little more especially when the engine is not running or a heating vest" is plugged in and the picture of the led gauge does look like it could do as you say but unless I've got the wrong one...

"Green LEDs represent the normal operating range of your charging system, 12.5V to 14.5V" (from https://www.denniskirk.com/kuryakyn/...prd/406777.sku)
                  fastbysuzuki's bike can hopefully muster 12.5v on the orange most of the time .

Comment

From own experience and from what I've read here on the board, once you have your charging system system sorted out and a genuine SH775 regulator installed your charging system is pretty much bulletproof. Adding a gauge is really just a piece of eye candy at that point!
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      From own experience and from what I've read here on the board, once you have your charging system system sorted out and a genuine SH775 regulator installed your charging system is pretty much bulletproof. Adding a gauge is really just a piece of eye candy at that point!
                      I actually moved mine over to another bike 3-4 years ago for testing/monitoring purposes and never found a need to reinstall it.

Comment

Have been testing were to fit the Kuryakyn volt meter I did want to put it on the yoke but after Steve's comment about it being distracting I have to agree (although I don't do much riding in the dark never say never) so I have come to the conclusion that mounting it on the left hand handle bar switch seemed ok as it does not distract it does reflect a little on the chrome mirror stem but not to distract.
                        any comment / ldea's ?
                        its not fitted yet.

1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

YOU are the only one that will be able to tell whethe it's right for YOU, but overall, that location is not bad.

Just try to mount it so you can change the angle if you find that it's too bright or not bright enough.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Mount it so you can move it later. Things like this get constant attention when they are new but after awhile, the BIG thrill wears off and they get the odd glance when you know what "normal" is...it's "something to check", like other instrument gauges...and "unusual" readings that gives the instrument its value.

Comment

I mounted mine here on a piece of Velcro and it stayed put for years. I don't ride much at night so never really noticed it being too bright. If it's too bright just detach and change the angle a bit. I'm sure you're aware but it does have a sensor to dim itself a bit. Another thing is that the back on mine was not attached very well nor was it very waterproof so i popped the back off, re-glued it and smeared a bit of clear silicone in the seam and where the wires come out.

Comment

Working...
                              X