1980 GS1000G Signal Flasher Relay....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Signal Flasher Relay....

Looking all over the place online for a replacement. Tried several eBay items but none work at all. An OEM is like $50USD... I can't believe there isn't a less expensive alternative to OEM. ?

If you want to retain your self-cancelling signals, OEM is the only way to go.

If you don't mind giving up the self-cancel feature, Auto Zone can be your friend.

Right now on eBay:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

There are more, you just have to know what to watch for. A flasher for 1979 or older will NOT work. I don't think anything smaller than 850 had self-cancelling, although some 750s might have.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was having some issues where I thought it was the flasher, so I ordered a new one. It turned out not to be the flasher, so once my new one comes in, I'll sell you my old one for $10, plus shipping, if it turns out to be the same as you have. The new one is supposed to be in Wednesday.
      https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Steve, if I'm all wet with the following, I trust you will tell me:

I'm going purely from memory here, but if you're OK with giving up the self-canceling feature, you can replace a three-prong Suzuki mystery flasher with a standard old two-prong unit from an auto parts store.

You can even use the same plug, but you will need to swap two of the leads (leaving one unused). Which two, I don't remember; a bit of experimentation with a couple of jumpers will tell you.

Once you've sorted out what goes where, you can release the connectors by pressing the little release tabs with a teensy screwdriver or terminal tool. Slide them out of the shell, swap, and click them into their new homes.

Whether you can do this on every auto-cancel GS, I dunno. But I've done it, honest... I think it was an '82 GS850GL.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If you want to retain your self-cancelling signals, OEM is the only way to go.

If you don't mind giving up the self-cancel feature, Auto Zone can be your friend.

Right now on eBay:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

There are more, you just have to know what to watch for. A flasher for 1979 or older will NOT work. I don't think anything smaller than 850 had self-cancelling, although some 750s might have.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Replies as necessary, instead of individual quotes.

Steve, if I'm all wet with the following, I trust you will tell me:
          Mostly dry, just a couple drops worth of dampness.

I'm going purely from memory here, but if you're OK with giving up the self-canceling feature, you can replace a three-prong Suzuki mystery flasher with a standard old two-prong unit from an auto parts store.
          That is correct. I seem to remember a 552 or a 555 flasher is good.

You can even use the same plug, but you will need to swap two of the leads (leaving one unused). Which two, I don't remember; a bit of experimentation with a couple of jumpers will tell you.
          I had to check on a couple of the un-molested GSes here to verify, but there is no re-wiring necessary. It appears that the (probably greatly discolored) light blue is in the center position. One of the others will be black/blue, the other will be orange/green. Use the terminal with the orange/green.

Once you've sorted out what goes where, you can release the connectors by pressing the little release tabs with a teensy screwdriver or terminal tool. Slide them out of the shell, swap, and click them into their new homes.
          As noted above, this step is (probably) not necessary.

Whether you can do this on every auto-cancel GS, I dunno. But I've done it, honest... I think it was an '82 GS850GL.
          This can be done on any auto-cancel GS except the 1979 models.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

That's a great help, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
              I was having some issues where I thought it was the flasher, so I ordered a new one. It turned out not to be the flasher, so once my new one comes in, I'll sell you my old one for $10, plus shipping, if it turns out to be the same as you have. The new one is supposed to be in Wednesday.
              Very generous offer but I already grabbed one of the eBay listed items from Steve's post... Sorry man

Comment

Originally posted by Dharma-man View Post
                Very generous offer but I already grabbed one of the eBay listed items from Steve's post... Sorry man
                No problem. Here is what I received for reference. Notice it's in the case reversed. It looks like it could be taken out and turned around, but I don't like messing with $56 parts if they work as they are. No issue connecting it.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Electrically, those are the same. The corresponding terminals have the proper identification, so just rotate your connector and plug it in.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X