Power Draw through coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Draw through coils

How many amps does the ignition circuit draw on a running bike?

using ohms law I guess each coil draws 3 Amps so 6 Amps.

If I run an added 20watts (approx 1.6amps) on the same circuit will a 10amp fuse be fine or should I go up to a 15Amp?

i have a coil relay mod that I also want to use to power some grip heaters.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I'd use a seperate fuse-3amp- for the heater....no fun having the ignition conk out while you're riding
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I could put one inline I guess so that blows first but that doesn't tell me anything about the overall load... I don't want to install a 2nd relay.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Last time I put an ammeter inline to check running current draw it showed 1.6 amps draw for a Dyna S.

My reason for doing it was to establish battery size needed for a days racing....

If anyone wants to try it on a street bike, I'd strongly recommend push starting the beast. An ammeter inline won't take the starter current draw.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          Last time I put an ammeter inline to check running current draw it showed 1.6 amps draw for a Dyna S.

My reason for doing it was to establish battery size needed for a days racing....

If anyone wants to try it on a street bike, I'd strongly recommend push starting the beast. An ammeter inline won't take the starter current draw.
          Edit - on a racebike it wa easiest to take it at the battery. You could of course simply take it at the coils which sidesteps the high starter draw...

Comment

I have a clamp meter that will measure that draw, but MY version of Ohm's law says that 14 volts, feeding 3Ω coils will be 4.667 amps per coil, or about 1 1/2 times what you figured. That is a total of 9.333 amps for both.

OK, the current gets interrupted every once in a while, so the AVERAGE current will be a bit lower. I should be able to verify that with my meter by comparing current draw with engine OFF and engine ON. I'll get some measurements and post the results.

If you are going to tap any circuit, I would tap in to the SIGNALS fuse. As tom203 mentioned, it's no fun to lose spark while riding. And I imagine it could be downright EXCITING if you were to lose your lights in a curve at night. The SIGNALS fuse powers your brake light, turn signals, horn and gear indicator, all of which you can do without and make it home.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gs1100e stock igniter 2.5amps total measured with Ths730 on O.W circuit.
              edit: accel 3 ohm coils
              Last edited by posplayr; 10-11-2019, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim. I figured there would be plenty of space left on that circuit.

I didn't want to add a second relay but I guess I could. The original ignition circuit fuse is now the switched live for the relay... The relay takes it's power from the stock 10amp accessory fused circuit.

Steve - I used 4ohms for the coils & a lower voltage figure
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Well, I was a bit surprised. With the key ON and the engine not running, my meter showed 2.6 amps on the orange/white wire just after the fuse box. That would include both coils and the miniscule amount that the ignitor requires to switch its transistors. With the engine running, that number dropped to right around 2 amps.

I had trouble believing that, so I grabbed my second clamp meter and got the same numbers.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,
                    With KOEO (Key on, engine off), how many volts were available on that circuit?

Has anyone been able to verify if both coils are ever energized at the same time?
                    Or when one coil goes open, the other one energizes?
                    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

I'd expect the coils will only show a direct consumption of V/R=Amps when they are NOT "pulsing"...that is, when you hook them up directly to the battery like a light bulb.

add:I'll suppose that means without the black box TCI ignitor or whatever else...points should be ok though measuring direct throughput.

otherwise, the amperage on a running bike will be less due to the dwell, the engine speed and the collapsing fields resisting recharge too..But as the coil warms up I guess its resistance will increase a bit too.
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-11-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Well, I was a bit surprised.
                        I wouldn't be.. Jim (Posplayr) is a very skilled Electrical Engineer. If he says it's so it usually is!
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

For someone who is electrically challenged (like me) this conversation is incredibly interesting -

--interesting - yet being spoken in a language I do not know -

Learning is constant

Comment

In the days of points it was fairly normal for an auto coil to draw 5 to 6A on idle and that would drop to 1.5 - 2A above 3K rpm.
                            From direct observation, I found this to be the same with those electronic ignitions I had bothered to test, although I can't say whether that applies to every installation or design - but given that the circumstances of operation are broadly the same, I'd not be surprised if they're all in the same ballpark.
                            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I have a clamp meter that will measure that draw, but MY version of Ohm's law says that 14 volts, feeding 3Ω coils will be 4.667 amps per coil, or about 1 1/2 times what you figured. That is a total of 9.333 amps for both.

OK, the current gets interrupted every once in a while, so the AVERAGE current will be a bit lower. I should be able to verify that with my meter by comparing current draw with engine OFF and engine ON. I'll get some measurements and post the results.

If you are going to tap any circuit, I would tap in to the SIGNALS fuse. As tom203 mentioned, it's no fun to lose spark while riding. And I imagine it could be downright EXCITING if you were to lose your lights in a curve at night. The SIGNALS fuse powers your brake light, turn signals, horn and gear indicator, all of which you can do without and make it home.

Do you think there's enough available overhead to tap into on the SIGNALS circuit to run a 3 amp draw for a wideband oxygen sensor and not pop the fuse?
                              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X