Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer vs Older CDI ignitions & interchangeability???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer vs Older CDI ignitions & interchangeability???

Hi All.......I haven't used this site in several years but glad to be back. I have just fitted an '83 GS1100g motor to my '81 GS1000g. A few little unexpected snakes in the haystack but mainly plain sailing. Both motors have CDI ignition but the older one still had mechanical advance while the newer motor was fully electronic. I would rather retro-fit the older ignition with mechanical advance (easier) than source the upgraded CDI igniter unit. I haven't been able to find one new & all the used ones you see on Ebay are naturally 36 years old, cost a mint, & are in who-knows-what condition. Has anyone ever done this? I'm expecting probably not as in practical terms it represents a 'downgrade' not an upgrade. however the old system was as good as old cheese & worked fine. BT

As far as I know If you want to keep the mechanical advancer unit you will have to use the igniter from the older model ( I say igniter as you do not have CDi units they are a completely different)
    not sure what you mean by " then source the upgraded CDi/ igniter" ?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

There are recent threads here about using Chevrolet HEI components with success.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Iguana351 View Post
        Both motors have CDI ignition but the older one still had mechanical advance while the newer motor was fully electronic.
        Actually NEITHER ONE had "CDI" ignition.

"CDI" is a term that applies to Capacitive Discharge Ignition. Yes, it's electronic, but the parts are different and not interchangeable.

We have a standard INDUCTIVE discharge ignition that happens to have a box of transistors in place of mechanical points.

If you still have both engines, why not simply move the triggers from the end of the crank from the '81 engine to the '83? Move the advance mechanism as well, you will be good to go.

The difference in the two ignitors (box of transistors) was that the newer ones incorporated the advance in the ignitor. To avoid problems with simply plugging the new system into the old ignitor, Suzuki had the wisdom to change the plugs to a different configuration.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There are many threads on this. Install the 1000 advance unit and keep the 1000 ignitor. Should be plug and play.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes......my mistake re CDI. I meant 'electronic' & yes, that's exactly what I'll do if they can be interchanged......haven't pulled them out yet.

Comment

Many thanks to all who replied.........yes, it was a direct changeover, a 15 minute job at most. Now she has proper advance and goes fine.

Comment

Working...
              X