Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the Dyna S... now how exactly do I install it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the Dyna S... now how exactly do I install it?

I read the instructions, but I want to make absolutely sure I'm doing it right. For example, where exactly on the orange/white wire do I attach the splice connector? How about the white and black wires leading from the Dyna S unit, do they go into the plastic connector there? The wires coming up from the signal generator lead to this plug here.1572715430775791220453918114509.jpg
    Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 11-02-2019, 01:52 PM.
    1980 GS550E

Throw the scotchlok connectors in the trash and attach the wires properly by using solder and heat shrink tubing.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Throw the scotchlok connectors in the trash and attach the wires properly by using solder and heat shrink tubing.

That... doesn't exactly help. I don't have a soldering iron anyway.
      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
        That... doesn't exactly help. I don't have a soldering iron anyway.
        That's very helpful, by helping you avoid a serious mistake. Scotchloks are garbage doomed to fail quickly, and I don't know why Dyna includes these stupid things. You can get a perfectly adequate soldering iron, heat shrink, and a heat gun for less than $25 at Harbor Freight. Or you could invest a little more in getting yourself set up with a quality ratcheting crimper (not the ones from HF) and connectors to make truly bombproof connections.

So back to the question, I'll agree that Dyna's instructions are a wee bit cryptic, but all the info is there. What parts are unclear to you? Perhaps we can clarify.

From the nature of your questions, I think it might help you get a grip on things if you remove the stock parts and get them out of your way first. Remove the stock signal generator, and unplug and remove the ignition box.
        Last edited by bwringer; 11-03-2019, 12:07 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I would twist & tape before I'd use those junk connectors they provide.

Comment

I have Scotchloks on my trailer, came from the factory that way. I am well aware of the problem so I sealed them with liquid electrical tape. Nine years later the connections are perfect. If I hadn't sealed them they would have started failing after the first year. They make a good quick connection until dirt and road salt gets in them. Cold solder joints are just as bad, not everyone can solder properly or even know how.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I used Scotchloks for years, indeed, I thought they were the bee's knees, the donkey's bollocks, the dog's hind legs, until I came to undo some older ones and found that the conductors were unnecessarily damaged by a crude design.
              Yes, they're simple, cheap and quick, but that's the only reason they have a place at all - for simple, cheap and quick assembly or installation by workshops.
              Anyone wanting to make a decent job shouldn't use them, as I found that even when they seem to be doing the job the main conductor that's being spliced onto may be damaged, and might fail when it's most wanted to be reliable.
              I try to avoid the damn things these days, and often root out ones I find, replacing them with modern decent connectors or a simple solder and heatshrunk joint, that's wrapped with S-A tape if it's weather exposed.
              Even a bullet connector is better in some ways, as it can easily be taken apart and cleaned, then protected with some gunge.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X