1979 GS1000 alternate handlebar switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000 alternate handlebar switches

Hi everyone I am new here and after a bit of help.

I purchased a 1979 GS1000 aus about 2 years ago and it’s time to start doing something.

i stripped and dismantled the handlebar switches when I first bought it and I have no chance now I putting them back together.

I looked at originals and don’t want to pay 400++ for new ones. Are there any good alternatives out there I can use that you recommend.

i have a z900 and purchased repo ones for that.

thanks for your help it’s appreciated

jason

Keeping it in-family, as it were, I'd look at GS500 switchgear, which was in production until relatively recently and there are many low-mileage examples in breakers all over the world, or even buy new if you want.
    Alternately, I've become rather enamoured of Honda NT650V brake and clutchery, and my next switchgear might come from that, when it needs replaced.
    As always, some proficiency with a soldering iron will be required as none of it is plug-and-play.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Keeping it in-family, as it were, I'd look at GS500 switchgear, which was in production until relatively recently and there are many low-mileage examples in breakers all over the world, or even buy new if you want.
      Alternately, I've become rather enamoured of Honda NT650V brake and clutchery, and my next switchgear might come from that, when it needs replaced.
      As always, some proficiency with a soldering iron will be required as none of it is plug-and-play.
      +1.

I have GSXR switches on my GS. They were easy to adapt with a soldering iron due to Suzuki's preservation of the same color wires since the 70s till today.
      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        +1.

I have GSXR switches on my GS. They were easy to adapt with a soldering iron due to Suzuki's preservation of the same color wires since the 70s till today.

Thats a piece of gold info right there. So if I purchase a Suzuki switch block say gsxr I simply need to match the colours ? Each colour wire does the same thing as it did in the 70s unbelievable

Comment

Originally posted by JSmith View Post
          Thats a piece of gold info right there. So if I purchase a Suzuki switch block say gsxr I simply need to match the colours ? Each colour wire does the same thing as it did in the 70s unbelievable
          For the most part, yes. Consult the wiring diagram for the donor switch and your bike to confirm.
          Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
          2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            For the most part, yes. Consult the wiring diagram for the donor switch and your bike to confirm.
            Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Suzuki GS500 GS 500 Gs500e Air Valve at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

So something like this would be ok. I see later model gsxr have additional buttons such as mode control any particular year I should look out for

thanks for the replies

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS50...oAAOSwNo9b1cYg

So something like this would be ok. I see later model gsxr have additional buttons such as mode control any particular year I should look out for

thanks for the replies
              I have a 2005/2006 GSXR 1000 starter button/kill switch on my GS100 and it works great. You also get a shorter turn on the throttle since you'll be using the GSXR throttle tube so you can get to WOT faster.

I would stay away from 07+ GSXR 1000 and 08+ GSXR 600/750 switches since these are the years where electronics buttons like mode select etc started to appear.

Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-09-2019, 01:53 AM.
              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

[QUOTE=80GS1000;2571416]I have a 2005/2006 GSXR 1000 starter button/kill switch on my GS100 and it works great. You also get a shorter turn on the throttle since you'll be using the GSXR throttle tube so you can get to WOT faster.

I would stay away from 07+ GSXR 1000 and 08+ GSXR 600/750 switches since these are the years where electronics buttons like mode select etc started to appear.

Brilliant thanks. I do have a question about your front master cylinder set up. I’ll be using standard twin disk Caliper s but would like to go to remote reservoir. What is this setup you have hear looks quite neat.

Cheers jason

Comment

Brilliant thanks. I do have a question about your front master cylinder set up. I’ll be using standard twin disk Caliper s but would like to go to remote reservoir. What is this setup you have hear looks quite neat.

Cheers jason
                  It's a GSXR 600 master cylinder like this one.
                  Last edited by 80GS1000; 11-11-2019, 12:28 AM.
                  Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                  2006 GSXR 750

Comment

i bought a very nice used right side switch for my 79 GS1000 on ebay a couple years back for less than $20. Keep trying, they are out there...

Comment

Working...
                    X