No announcement yet.

Starting click and then no juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the same problem lately and discovered that by flipping the run/ off switch a few times it will engage. Planning to take that apart this winter and clean the connections. Bike was in a heavy rainstorm a few days before and the contacts might need some cleaning and lubricating with dielectric grease. One thing if you are planning on taking this one apart.... wrap it up with a plastic baggie and poke a screwdriver through the baggie so you dont lose the little springs in there. There is a tutorial on here somewhere that I had to look up to put it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
      ...wrap it up with a plastic baggie and poke a screwdriver through the baggie so you dont lose the little springs in there.
      Cool tip. Never heard it before, but I'll definitely file it away.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Have you the lead acid battery and if so what's the electrolyte level like?
        If it's low, topping off will wet more plate and increase it's output and may be a sign of overcharging.
        What r/r have you got?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Sorry to leave you all in the dark.
          I figured out what the problem was a week or two ago but didn't put the half-hour of work into fixing it until this afternoon.

The problem was wiring, and the wiring problem was my own jerry-rigging.

See here for the report but long story short, five months ago I was on the road and I needed a new battery on the fly. I received one that worked, but the pos and neg were oriented differently, so I rigged up little extension wires to get the terminals hooked up right.

One of those connections got loose on me.

And I re-rigged it today.

Did I get the new proper battery?
          It wouldn't be an interesting story if I did, now, would it?
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

This is kind'f funny, I went back & read the orig. thread. Your question was, what do I do with my backwards battery? 4 people responded, all 4 advised "Get the correct batt." What did you do??? Sounds like what I may have done. I'll bet I'm not laughing at you, I'll bet I'm laughing with you. Glad you found it cheap & simple.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              This is kind'f funny, I went back & read the orig. thread. Your question was, what do I do with my backwards battery? 4 people responded, all 4 advised "Get the correct batt." What did you do??? Sounds like what I may have done. I'll bet I'm not laughing at you, I'll bet I'm laughing with you. Glad you found it cheap & simple.
              I should do a poll. How many would've gotten the correct battery later? How many would've rigged four inches of "extension cord"? lol

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                I should do a poll. How many would've gotten the correct battery later? How many would've rigged four inches of "extension cord"? lol
                I might or might not have a button to push on that poll
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ker,

ah, so you meant went completely dark (some posters were trying to diagnose why not turning over)

good that you recognized battery terms were opposite. Had you hooked it up reverse polarity you would experienced the “let the smoke out” situation.
                  i am impressed that you noticed, and that you were able to make an extension.

YB14L-A2
                  14 is 14 amp-hour
                  maybe the L is the terminal location.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Ker,

ah, so you meant went completely dark (some posters were trying to diagnose why not turning over)

good that you recognized battery terms were opposite. Had you hooked it up reverse polarity you would experienced the “let the smoke out” situation.
                    i am impressed that you noticed, and that you were able to make an extension.

YB14L-A2
                    14 is 14 amp-hour
                    maybe the L is the terminal location.
                    Well I DID blow a fuse. I don't remember exactly how I realized the battery was reverse oriented.

Extension was easy. Until the connection got loose, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X