Wes Cooley cut wires near battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wes Cooley cut wires near battery

Can anyone help me figure out cut wires. See picture; at bottom of group of wires there are 2 cut wires, one green and one white with red stripe, then at top of group of wires the white/red and green wires were connected together and I believe going to regulator. I'm thinking the regulator was replaced before, not sure though, has anyone seen this before? Should I be connecting them back they way they were meant to be?
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM.

I cant really see the picture, but going from the description....

I would guess they got rid of the headlamp loop for one of the legs of the stator.

Check you manuals schematic.

Comment

Your picture is bad. Way too small to see any detail.

The charging system wiring is one of the major weaknesses with your bike and GS's in general. One leg of the stator wiring loops up through the non existent headlamp switch and this extra length wiring often overheats and takes out half the harness. Standard forum wisdom is to bypass the factory charging system wiring. Run the stator wires directly into the R/R, then run the + output to the factory location and the - straight to the battery. Installing a SH775 R/R is highly recommended too. Damn the originality when it come to the charging system.

BTW, the factory manual for your bike, available for free download on basscliff's website, has the wiring schematic. Trace the wires yourself when you have questions about what wire goes where.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

THere ! !

Solved in 30 minutes.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If it's a 79 S, it had separate rectifier and regulator
          Does it still have both?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Looking at the Wiring DIAGRAM in my Manual ,,it says that
            the WHITE with Red Stripe Wire goes to the Left Handle Bar Light Switch ,
            and
            the GREEN Wire goes from the Horn to the Horn Button on the Handle Bars
            It shows that the Regurater - Rectifier DOES NOT have a Green Wire going in or out at all ,
            hope that helps ,,

Comment

Originally posted by sjohn5 View Post
              Can anyone help me figure out cut wires. See picture; at bottom of group of wires there are 2 cut wires, one green and one white with red stripe, then at top of group of wires the white/red and green wires were connected together and I believe going to regulator. I'm thinking the regulator was replaced before, not sure though, has anyone seen this before? Should I be connecting them back they way they were meant to be?
              Steve
              My bike has both those cut just at the fuel tap side of the airbox.
              Find the plug on the generator and see where the three phases are going. Most likely you will find all three going directly to the rectifier. Originally the Lg/W phase wire went off to the front of the bike and looped back as a W/R before entering the rectifier.
              As the regulator was of the 'always on' shunt type this loop helped dump excess energy that would otherwise end up in the stator windings. As the regulators failed that loop then became a heating element and took out harnesses. This would be a good time to identify the type of R/R you have and start monitoring the charging voltage. As Ed said a modern series R/R like the Sh 775 would be a good move if you still have the older shunt type.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
              X