New to bike ,,no spark ,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to bike ,,no spark ,

Hi ,,I am working on getting a new to me 1980 GS850 up and running again ,,Bought it a few weeks ago off a Man as a non goer ,,he said that everything was OK ,,Just need a good going over , ha ha
    So Far I have removed the Carbs ,cleaned and fitted full Carby Kits ,set floats and needles ,,Fitted new O-Rings to inlet Manifolds ,
    I then checked the wiring because nothing was working ,,I found that wires had been plug into the wrong places ,Wires had been stripped and jumped to each other etc etc ,,
    After 2 nights I now have everything working up the front of the Bike ,,EXCEPT the Start Button ,,,
    The Blinkers ,Horn ,Lights ,Hi-Low ,,Brake Light ,Flasher ,Neutral Light ,Oil Light are all working now ,,,
    Also found the wiring has been played around with at the Coils as well ,,It also has one Black and one White Coil fitted on it ,,
    I have NO SPARK at all at the Plugs when I wind the Motor over by sorting out solenoid because the starter Button is not working ?,
    Just asking if someone can please tell me if the Coils under the Tank need to have a EARTH wire on them as well as the 2 wires coming from the Wiring Loom?? ,,
    Also what Color Wire goes onto what side of each Coil ,
    On the LEFT Coil,,,,,,One of the Wires is ORANGE/WHITE and the other wire is WHITE
    On the Right Coil it has a ORANGE/WHITE wire and a BLACK with White strip which is a earth) I think ?? ,
    I understand that the BLACK with WHITE Strip wire is a EARTH ,,,
    What I am asking is (Sitting on the Bike)
    Which Colored wire goes onto which Coil , ,,Does the ORANGE/White and the WHITE wire go to the LEFT Coil ,,If so ,, what side of the Coil does the White wire plug on to ,,The left or Right pole on the Coil ,
    and the same Question on the Right Coil ,what side of the Right Coil does the ORANGE/White wire go ,,,
    thank you for your help .I hope someone under stands what I am saying ,,, regards Phil

Hi Phil,

welcome.

The coils do not need a ground, and with the killswitch set to Run you should see 12V on the orange wires.
    The other wire is the signal wire. Quick test would be to ground/tap a signal wire to the frame, that should produce a spark.

Starter button : there is a yellow/green wire going from starter button to the solenoid.
    This wire has a connector about 10cm behind the solenoid.
    The best way to quickly test things is to disconnect this wire and connect the part coming from the solenoid to the positive terminal on the battery.
    Shorting the large poles on the solenoid is a bad idea.
    But it looks like you have a working starter motor. And if you connect the green/yellow wire to 12V and that makes the starter motor turn,
    the solenoid is probably also ok.

So the hunt for 12V begins :-)
    This diagram will be helpful : http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._color-new.png
    The female green/yellow wire connector (so not the one coming from the solenoid, but the wire that leads from there) should show 12V
    when the starter button is pressed with the killswitch set to Run.
    If not, continue to the switch at the side stand. The 2 connectors there are an easy point to see if this switch receives 12V and passes it on to the solenoid when pressed.

Let's see if you can find the issue in this part of the wiring before continuing.

Rijk
    Last edited by Rijko; 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

[QUOTE=Rijko;2575917]Hi Phil,

welcome.

The coils do not need a ground, and with the killswitch set to Run you should see 12V on the orange wires.
      The other wire is the signal wire. Quick test would be to ground/tap a signal wire to the frame, that should produce a spark.

Starter button : there is a yellow/green wire going from starter button to the solenoid.
      This wire has a connector about 10cm behind the solenoid.
      The best way to quickly test things is to disconnect this wire and connect the part coming from the solenoid to the positive terminal on the battery.
      Shorting the large poles on the solenoid is a bad idea.
      But it looks like you have a working starter motor. And if you connect the green/yellow wire to 12V and that makes the starter motor turn,
      the solenoid is probably also ok.

So the hunt for 12V begins :-)
      This diagram will be helpful : http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._color-new.png
      The female green/yellow wire connector (so not the one coming from the solenoid, but the wire that leads from there) should show 12V
      when the starter button is pressed with the killswitch set to Run.
      If not, continue to the switch at the side stand. The 2 connectors there are an easy point to see if this switch receives 12V and passes it on to the solenoid when pressed.

Let's see if you can find the issue in this part of the wiring before continuing.

GREAT THANK YOU very much for that info ,,

I will go and do those tests and get back to you with the results ,,
      I have disconnected the Yellow/Green from the Solenoid and jumped it to the Positive on the Battery and the Bike Cranks over fine ,but no spark
      The Aussie GS850 does not have a side stand switch ,,It does have the 2 Yellow/Green wires for it in behind the Head Light ,which are Plugged into each other ,,,
      I will go and test the Yellow/Green wire that returns to the Solenoid ,to see if it has 12 volts in it ,,
      If it does not I will have to then check each side of the Kill switch ,,
      Does that sound like I am on the right track,,???
      Thank you once again for your help ,, regards Phil

Comment

Originally posted by phil007 View Post
        Does that sound like I am on the right track,,???
        Absolutely. You got this.
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

Rijko,,, due to your help,,,,BINGO ,,I found the problem ,,
          I tested the return line to the Solenoid with key on and start button pressed and was not getting any power ,,
          So I then tested the Orange/White wire that is in the Plug leaving the Fuse Box and found that I only had 1/2 a Volt leaving the Fuse Box on that wire ,,
          I tested across the Fuse and got 12.5 Volts ,,
          So I removed the Fuse Box thinking that the Orange/White wire connection must be bad ,,BUT it looked fine ,,
          So it then dawned on me that the only thing left it could be is Dirty Fuse Contacts where the Fuses Plug in to the Fuse Box,,
          I got a Chainsaw File and cleaned them all up and reinstalled the Fuse Box and tested the Wire again at the Plug coming out of the Fuse Box and BINGO ,,12.5 Volts
          I pushed the start Button and it worked 100% ,, AMAZING
          I then put a old Spark plug in the Plug lead and earthed it out ,,and BINGO ,,I had SPARK as well ,,Amazing
          So I pulled the Choke out and she wound over about 6 times and SHE THEN FIRED UP INTO LIFE ,,, IT STARTS ,,,,THANK YOU ,,THANK YOU ,,
          The Bike is Running like *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ ,The Carbs must be a mile out , I have cleaned and replaced all parts in side and left the settings as I found them ,
          So I now need Carby setting advice ,,
          The Bike has a Standard Airbox with 4 into 1 fitted ,,The Carbs have 40 Pilots ,115 Main Jets ,and the Needle's are set in the middle groove which is in the 3rd notch up ,,
          I set the Floats at 23 mm from where the Gasket sits ,
          As I said the Bike runs like Crap ,,Only runs with Choke out and will not Rev ,
          As soon as you try and give it a bit of throttle it just Dies ,with a real Air Sucking type noise ,
          Can some one tell me the correct Carby set up for my Bike
          As I said ,it has just the Standard Airbox and 4 into 1 Pipes fitted ,, It just straight out dies if you touch the throttle ,,
          Rijko,,,,THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP Mate ,,I would not have found this problem with out you great guidance ,, You save me ,,, Cheers

Comment

EXCELLENT !

Glad you now have a running bike

Looks like the carbs are not ok, since you have all new parts maybe a passage
            is still clogged.
            They will need to be checked. This is an excellent tried and tested manual :

When done, bench sync the carbs, this will bring them to almost perfect.

Ofcourse the valves need to be checked, this is a very important part that
            directly influences the carb setup. Do you have any experience with that ?

I have to leave for a motorcycle event now. Hope someone chimes in about the jet sizes. If not i will check for info tonight.

Again, congrats. You found the issue and solved it.
            Challenges may be ahead, but from here on it's coasting downhill
            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
            X