deleting clutch wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleting clutch wire

wanting to paint the piece that holds the clutch cable and wire but i know if i open up the wire then im probably gonna have to get parts like my brakewire, instead of repairing it, can i delete it? i dont really care for holding the clutch in to start but i guess its good because if u werent in neutral and somehow didnt know u wouldnt make a mistake and be in gear trying to start without the clutch. i also like the idea of using just 1 hand to start it, what do i do to make this possible?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Most Suzuki's are just a matter of unplugging the switch and plugging the two wiring harness side connectors together.

Comment

i do not know s#$% about wiring
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Not terribly difficult. Trace the two wires back to the next connection, unplug the wires to the clutch handle, then plug the two wires from the harness into each other.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

My opinion, but, that clutch lever safety switch is there for a reason. Especially for a new rider as yourself, I recommend you keep it. It could help to keep you from making a mistake that could damage you or the bike. I know a lot of guys here have disabled it. Most have years of riding experience and a situational awareness about their bike that you have not yet developed. I’m sure others’ opinions will differ.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            My opinion, but, that clutch lever safety switch is there for a reason. Especially for a new rider as yourself, I recommend you keep it. It could help to keep you from making a mistake that could damage you or the bike. I know a lot of guys here have disabled it. Most have years of riding experience and a situational awareness about their bike that you have not yet developed. I’m sure others’ opinions will differ.
            the only thing you could mess up on is try to start it in gear without the clutch right, ive had a manual truck that u didnt need the clutch in for neutral, and u have a neutral light on your bike. isnt suzuki one of the only brands that really does it

nothing wrong with ur opinion i gues id just rather do without it unless theres a reason other than that. or maybe ill keep it if the pieces are super cheap
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              .. i gues id just rather do without it unless theres a reason other than that. or maybe ill keep it if the pieces are super cheap
              Bike can learch ahead, and maybe fall over (if fold back sidestand).

I replace mine a few years ago. Was something like $16. Hardest part was finding the part number, was on some strange microfiche page.
              http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
              Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Whatever, do what you want. Your bike. I’m just imagining standing beside the bike or even straddling it but maybe not balanced on your feet. Bike’s in gear but you neglect to notice that the neutral light isn’t lit. Press the start button and the bike lurches. Even if you’re sitting, and balanced, if the bike lurches, are you quick enough to do whatever it takes to get control before the bike hits something in front of you, falls over, possibly damaging something. For me, having to pull in the clutch lever gets me to focus on what I’m doing. Again, opinions will vary.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Also think of this: THe clutch switch makes you have both hands on the grips.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

As others have said (many times), it's very easy to bypass, but also VERY easy to screw things up with just one push of a button.

When you get all your maintenance done (carb clean, valve adjust, etc.), your bike will start VERY easily. If your choke is set, it will start at higher revs and easily take off without you.

Suzuki is not the only one that does this. They were among the first, though. Others have built in some computerized wizardy so that if it is in neutral, you don't have to pull the clutch, but if it's in gear, you do. Suzuki kept it simple for a long time.

Your bike, your choice. We are only presenting facts, not telling you what to do.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I hated the clutch switch, when they first were used. Since, I've seen several times since that it has saved me & others. It's aggravating, till you need it, then you're sure glad it's there & working. Take advice from folks that have been there & done that.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

My bike was deleted before I got it and I have hit the starter without pulling the handle in gear and it will knock over the bike if on the side stand. Lucky I was on the opposite side when tipped.

Comment

Trace the wires back under the tank. Should be yellow & green. Unplug. Remove or tie up the side coming from the clutch. Connect the resulting male/female bullets together. Voila.

As noted if you are in the habit of starting the bike without being on it you'll probably end up with it on the floor one day. If you're on it you generally can feel a lurch and stop before you get into trouble.

Personally I don't disable safeties as they are always easy to diagnose & do in the field if they go wrong (and that's the usual reason people disable them...)
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Trace the wires back under the tank. Should be yellow & green. Unplug. Remove or tie up the side coming from the clutch. Connect the resulting male/female bullets together. Voila.

As noted if you are in the habit of starting the bike without being on it you'll probably end up with it on the floor one day. If you're on it you generally can feel a lurch and stop before you get into trouble.

Personally I don't disable safeties as they are always easy to diagnose & do in the field if they go wrong (and that's the usual reason people disable them...)
                            i think i may leave it but i do have to disconnect it to repaint the piece its on,gonna get different levers while im at it.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                            X