1981 Suzuki GS550L Ignition issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki GS550L Ignition issue

First off thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is appreciated.
    The bike listed above is my wife's bike. She loves it! We bought it not too long ago.
    We just lost ignition on #1, #4 cylinders. I understand that can be from one of the coils.
    This bike has the factory signal generators on it, no points.
    Was looking to go to a Dyna ignition but not sure what to order?
    Would like to update to new wires and caps as well. Would there be a change in spark plugs ?
    Have not begun to troubleshoot the issue.
    I did do my homework in here to determine what I would need depending on the ignition/points style or manufacturer but opened up the cover and ...... no points!

keyboard test software online

You want the Dyna S......but you need to determine if you have the stock ND or KD ignitor setup...look for markings on ignitor box and/or signal coil plate
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom, did they have different ignitor setups? I know they had different points systems, but I have been under the (possibly mis-guided) impression that all the electronic systems were the same.

Pappy, while the Dyna is a good system, you might not need it. Do a bit of troubleshooting first to determine the cause of the failure. It might be as simple as a loose connector or broken wire between the signal generators, ignitor and coils. Since it is #1 and #4 that failed, it would be related to the coil on the left side of the bike.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

He's likely got the ND setup...but best to check.
        The 550 ignitor seem to be most troublesome based on what I've read here , but never hurts to doublecheck connections.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The 1st gen 550 ignitors are fine. It's the 2nd gen 550's with the horrable ignitors.

Agree with Steve. Troubleshoot before purchasing parts.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!! Very much appreciated.
            Will take a look at it tomorrow morning.....just got home and too dark and too many other bikes to move out of the way to look tonight.

Comment

Saturday I will have time to look at the issue. I do have questions on switching to the Dyna unit from The current signal generator/ignitor system. I see nothing that directly replaces it.
              Since it is Lesa riding this bike I may want to go that route anyway. Again any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comment

Okay...started with the signal generators. Ohmed them out and they were both around 65 ohms so both are well below what they should be.
                This sort of makes sense as what spark I normally have is very weak at best. I checked spark on 2 and 3 and it is there but barely visible.
                Put the connector back together and decided to try it. Bike fired up on two cylinders and eventually the other two kicked in with a lot of come and go as far as ignition goes so am assuming the coils are good as far as connections go.
                It is my understanding that the 1981 model should have points anyway? Since I do not know the history of this bike it may have a later engine in it....not sure.
                So.......
                Once again my question would be which Dyna system since it has no points?

Comment

Working...
                X