Currently rewiring GS1100, had some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently rewiring GS1100, had some questions

Im rewring my 1982 GS1100 and wanted to ask a few question.
    All the wires in the harness are old and dirty, and im fairly sure a few are burning through. Does anyone have a wire diagram of the 82 GS1100GLZ, or atleast a simplified one. All the ones i see online are so convaluted and seem way more complex than the actual wiring harness itself.
    Also, i have quite a few odd wire connectors just hanging around and have no idea what half of them were suppose to be for. For instance, there is a switch on the back left of the bike, above the half shaft case that has no connections and no explanations. It has three positions and three connections. No idea what it was meant for but it looks stock.

Did you try BikeCliffs Website (link in my sig) for manuals and wiring diagrams? Yes, some don’t enlarge well and may appear a bit fuzzy, some of the scans are better than others. As for the other thing, pictures of this mystery switch would help.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Can you get a picture or three of that switch? Or at least give the colors of the wires that might be around it?

For ease of wiring, I have found one of the 850 diagrams on BassCliff's site to be wonderfully enhanced. It will not contain everything that is on your '82 1100 (side stand switch is one), but the colors of the wires are SO much easier to read, I use it for pretty much any GS I am working on. Fortunately, Suzuki used the same colors for the same functions through the years.

Here is a link to the diagram: -> http://www.dslextreme.com/users/bike..._color-new.png

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry with the late reply, my camera on my phone broke a few days ago, so im not really able to get any pictures. I can tell you though that the side of the switch has a part number R13-61D and that it has the positions ON-OFF-ON on the side. Other than that not sure

Comment

There were no such switches on any Suzuki GS.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Too bad. Like a good mystery.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
              Sorry with the late reply, my camera on my phone broke a few days ago, so im not really able to get any pictures. I can tell you though that the side of the switch has a part number R13-61D and that it has the positions ON-OFF-ON on the side. Other than that not sure
              That
              R13-61D switch is just a standard power switch. Someone probably wired in a hidden killswitch at some point, and then someone else didn't like it and uninstalled the wiring without removing the switch.
              1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
              1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
              Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by FlordiaMan View Post
                ............. the switch has a part number R13-61D and that it has the positions ON-OFF-ON on the side. Other than that not sure
                Quick search finds this. Yah, nonstock, common swtich someone got from autoparts store or something, and added for who-knows-what.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

All the schematics make more sense if realize that what they are trying to do is show all the devices around the outside, stuff in front of bike on the left, stuff on back of bike on the right, other stuff on top and bottom. And all the lines in the middle is the main wiring harness.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yea thats it exactly. Its so weird cause the way its welded into the frame it looks stock

Comment

Working...
                    X