Bike died mid ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike died mid ride.

Hi guys, hope everyone is doing well. My 1980 GS1100E died suddenly mid-ride last night. It has been running fine prior, has fuel and battery has been charged recently. It seems there's no power going to spark plugs and the starter button is not responsive at all, as if I turned kill switch off. Headlight and instruments seem fine. I suspect it might be fuse, likely the ignition one. Haven't had a chance to look at it though, as it was late and I left my bike at someone's garage and went home. Hope you can help me refresh my memory as to which type of fuse I would need to get, before I head out to retrieve my bike. Much thanks.
    1980 GS1100E

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
    Hi guys, hope everyone is doing well. My 1980 GS1100E died suddenly mid-ride last night. It has been running fine prior, has fuel and battery has been charged recently. It seems there's no power going to spark plugs and the starter button is not responsive at all, as if I turned kill switch off. Headlight and instruments seem fine. I suspect it might be fuse, likely the ignition one. Haven't had a chance to look at it though, as it was late and I left my bike at someone's garage and went home. Hope you can help me refresh my memory as to which type of fuse I would need to get, before I head out to retrieve my bike. Much thanks.

prob not much help but did u make sure the clutch switch to use the starter is working.

also i belive its 10a for every fuse except the main one which is 15a, just pull the fusebox cover off it'll tell you, and actually there might be an extra fuse waiting to be used

this is ofcourse what it is on my gs650
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

How about a picture of the beast?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sure GS1100E.jpg
        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
          ...................and the starter button is not responsive at all, as if I turned kill switch off. Headlight and instruments seem fine. . . . . . . . .
          So know the Main fuse/power and Head and Instr fuse/power are okay. But could suspect the Ignition fuse.

Clutch swtich can prevent the starter button from doing anything, but will not kill the ignition.
          Try wiggling the clutch lever while it is pulled in and finger on starterbutton, if that makes it go, then need to adjust the swtich,

1980 Gs used the "glass" fuses, not sure about the Es, but guess same.
          Ignition fuse (and Head and Instr) will be 10 amp, so get some of those. (Main should be 15.)
          Last edited by Redman; 04-09-2020, 03:54 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            also i belive its 10a for every fuse except the main one which is 15a, just pull the fusebox cover off it'll tell you, and actually there might be an extra fuse waiting to be used
            Thank you!
            1980 GS1100E

Comment

Cheers Redman, got my replacement fuse already!
              1980 GS1100E

Comment

May sure you try to start the bike as-is when you get back to it.
                I had an 850 many years ago that would quit running when it got hot. An hour later it would be fine. Pretty sure (now) that it was electrical, but this was back when I knew nothing about working on bikes.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                X