loom question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loom question

Picked up a 1100ez project a month ago, the previous owner had pretty much destroyed the loom. So, I ordered a new one from Suzuki. Now the new loom isn't the same as the old one. There are certain connector blocks missing on the new one. So I'm stumped. Any advice will be well received

The 82 GS1100E harness used to be the only one available. It shoudl match your 1100ez project if that is what it is.
    What is different?

Comment

I guess 1st you'll have to double check the part number to see if they sent you (or you ASKED for) the correct harness with an eye to sending it back for the correct one.

There's sooo many models...EZ would seem to be particular but...see cmnsl link to check the part number or possible alternates they sometimes list

failing any joy there, I'd guess you'll want to know exactly which bike suits the harness you have in hand and explore the differences from the wiring diagrams between yours and it. This is leading to you modding the harness OR the connections on your bike so you're going to want a good crimper and the appropriate connectors..and even, "maybe-hopefully-not-but-not-as-bad-as-you-might-think" unwinding the harness tape to splice any additions in.

✓ Suzuki spare parts for GS1100 Motorcycle. ✓ Swift delivery ✓ Original Suzuki GS1100 parts

You will want shop manuals of the bikes. These often show the variations per submodels in their wiring diagrams.BikeCliff's Website

Comment

My vin isn't coming up with any parts on that site

Comment

VIN? just find your bike. My best guess, not having your bike, would be below. There are THREE harnesses listed....it's detective work for sure and maybe without result but 'the truth is out there" if you can find it. As to what good it'll do if your particular harness is no longer available, you'll have to mod it.

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GS1100E 1982 (Z) USA (E03)

Comment

This is the only one that has been available since I rebuilt my GS1100ED (2008). Are you sure you have an 82(EZ)? It looks very similar to the 83 (ED) (9" round headlamp). The 80/81 are very similar (square headlamp) and have a different harness. The only other harness is the ESD which was a limited production (full fairing)and rare as hen's teeth.

WIRING HARNESS GS1100EZ
            36610-49500

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d403dbf8700230d8b4ebca/wiring-harness
            WIRING HARNESS GS1100EZ
            36610-49500

Comment

The old loom has a 7pin indicator relay block and the new loom has a 6 pin connector... so

Comment

Originally posted by wurzle View Post
                The old loom has a 7pin indicator relay block and the new loom has a 6 pin connector... so
                I think you mean the TSCU. If so the 83 (ED) has the 7 pin connector and the 82 (EZ) has the 6 pin with an extra ground.

If you posted a picture of your bike someone could easily identify what year you actually have (82 vs 83). regardless, the 82 harness is available with the 6 pin connector to buy new.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
                Last edited by posplayr; 04-15-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

That's the thing. There's only the engine and front frame cradle that's stock

Comment

Originally posted by wurzle View Post
                    That's the thing. There's only the engine and front frame cradle that's stock

The frames are specific to the years, but sound like you have a bobber so it doesn't really matter. get a 82 TSCU and then you don't have to swap over the connector.

It would be interesting to know what frame as you keep claiming it is an EZ with an ED harness. Then someone swapped it out already so it is not 40 years old.

Go lookup a picture of an 83 and look at the aluminum foot pegs; that is unique to the 83. The 82 is steel painted black.

Comment

Working...
                    X