Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch switch issues

Hi All!

Quick question about an issue im having with my bike. for whatever reason, im noticing my bike now starts without depressing the clutch lever. honestly cant say when it starting doing that since the bike's been parked for a while. any gur=ess how i can remedy this before i accidentally hit the start button in gear and drop it? thanks all!

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

I was having the opposite problem. I'd have the squeeze the clutch a few times before it would start. I was going to clean it but instead I removed it and connected the leads inside the headlight. I haven't regretted it yet but out of years of riding ATVs and bikes it's habit for me to pull the clutch before starting the bike.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Clean the switch:
      Put a bag over the grip and controls before you remove the 2 screws holding the switch cover onto the clutch lever bracket. Or I’ve found it better to loosen the bracket bolt and swing the lever over the grip 180 deg. so that the switch is now on top. Remove the 2 screws and plastic switch cover. Clean the little circuit board with the 2 wires soldered to it.

This is the part that’s likely to fly out and separate into 3 pieces (black plastic pc, small spring, copper contact) to the far corners or your work space. It’s bought as 1 piece if you need to replace it. If it didn’t fly apart, you’re lucky. Clean it, and the recess in the bottom of the clutch lever.

the brake light switch in the front brake lever on the throttle side is exactly the same.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-14-2020, 11:23 AM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks a mil!!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

You’re welcome. Hey Pete, it’s a good idea to create a signature with your bike info in it.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yah, is usally the opposit problem. Makes me think need to dissasmeble to inspect. Or just replace it.

Some other comments:

The swtich is adjustable. Loosen screws and slide forward or back. See if that makes a difference. (I doubt it for tyhis porblem).

The internals and mounting/housing maybe same as brake front swtrich, but I think one of the connectors on other end of the harness is different.

On these 1980s bikes, there is no involvement with the netural swtich for this starter interlock.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Will do. thx again!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

how's this

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Nice!
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Peteortiz11 View Post
                    how's this
                    Good.

Hey, a distinguished gentleman, with a cafe racer... concerned about clutch interlock operation.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thank you! you guys have always been a tremendous help!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Working...
                      X