Electrical upgrades for 82' GS1100GLZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical upgrades for 82' GS1100GLZ?

Hi everyone, im currently rewiring my GS1100, i found out that the last owner used some cheap crimp connectors and they arent holding very well. If i poke the connect i can see the lights flicker and my engine will die. I was gonna ask if anyone knew where i could go to purchase new connectors and some actual quality crimping tools. Im afraid im completely knew to working on bikes, and have only some basic knowledge of mechanics.

I also wanted to ask about some other electrical upgrades and whether or not you guys would think they would be worth it. I wanted to eventually upgrade my ignition coils and my and my ignition timing with the dynatek, but im not sure what im suppose to be looking for as everything is marketed for Harleys and Hondas. Does anyone know what ohm's my coils need to be. And is an ignition upgrade necessary, or is it just wasting money. I know I cant make much more horsepower with a shafty bike but I wouldn't mind making it more tuned. Im also looking at replacing all the connectors just because many are old and faded, and wanna try and clean up the bike. Can I use just normal Ebay connectors or do I need to purchase Suzuki specific connectors. Im still using a lot of original parts like the blinker relay and original handle bar controls, so I want to be able to click them in rather than directly sodering them.

Also, I discovered my bike had a 30 AMP fuse on its main power circuit. Im not sure why the old owner did that, but I haven't had a problem with the bike other than having hard time starting. And when I replaced it with the factory 10 amp fuse, it still started like normal with no blown fuse.

OK, I am going to answer your questions by inserting them in blue in your quote.

Hi everyone, im currently rewiring my GS1100, i found out that the last owner used some cheap crimp connectors and they arent holding very well.
    Unfortunately, that is far too common.

If i poke the connect i can see the lights flicker and my engine will die. I was gonna ask if anyone knew where i could go to purchase new connectors and some actual quality crimping tools.
    I get my connectors from Vintage Connectors. (<-- click link)

Browse on the connectors page for the different connectors you might need. The crimpers you need are on the Tools page. Yeah, they are a bit more than the crimpers you find at the local auto parts store, but they are a LOT better. The dies that come with the crimpers are for the terminals that go into the multi-wire connectors, so you will also want the ones that are shown next the crimper, Die Set "C".

Im afraid im completely knew to working on bikes, and have only some basic knowledge of mechanics.
    Sounds like you are in for a really fun time, but you have found the best place to ask questions.

I also wanted to ask about some other electrical upgrades and whether or not you guys would think they would be worth it. I wanted to eventually upgrade my ignition coils and my and my ignition timing with the dynatek, but im not sure what im suppose to be looking for as everything is marketed for Harleys and Hondas. Does anyone know what ohm's my coils need to be.
    Are you having problems with your current coils? If not, you probably won't notice any change, let alone an improvement. But, if you really want to change, you need the GREEN 3Ω coils. Note that you will also need to get wires and spark plug caps. Wires are available in different colors, most of us use the solid-core wires. Plug caps should be a resistor cap from NGK. I don't have the part numbers handy right now, but two are shorter, with 120° angle, two are longer, with a 90° angle.

And is an ignition upgrade necessary, or is it just wasting money. I know I cant make much more horsepower with a shafty bike but I wouldn't mind making it more tuned. Im also looking at replacing all the connectors just because many are old and faded, and wanna try and clean up the bike. Can I use just normal Ebay connectors or do I need to purchase Suzuki specific connectors.
    See my comment above for connector source.

Im still using a lot of original parts like the blinker relay and original handle bar controls, so I want to be able to click them in rather than directly sodering them.
    A commendable choice.

Also, I discovered my bike had a 30 AMP fuse on its main power circuit. Im not sure why the old owner did that, but I haven't had a problem with the bike other than having hard time starting. And when I replaced it with the factory 10 amp fuse, it still started like normal with no blown fuse.
    Well, there is definitely something wrong here, as the factory MAIN fuse is a 15-amp fuse, not 10.
    Sounds like it's time to inspect the wire routing to make sure it's proper. Many owners will re-route the output of the voltage regulator directly to the battery, thinking it will charge better. It won't. And it messes up other stuff, so please check it to see where the R/R (voltage regulator) output is.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X