1980 gs450l & M-Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs450l & M-Unit

due to the "CDI" is there something different that needs to be done with the wiring? Relay etc? Any one with experience with the m unit? I don't want to mess this thing up

I have to ask,why are you fitting an M unit to a 450?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ummmm. just cus maybe lol i am a newbie. maybe its a lesson but still.

Comment

Hi, did not know that gs450 has cdi. My only experience is with gs1000 and 1100. I don't think your m-unit cares about the cdi. The m-unit provides a 12v output to the ignition when a 12v input is received from the lock input [ignition switch]. I think the only time a cdi comes into play is when you doing the input for a electronic tack and the manual should cover that. i hope this helps
        1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

I do believe a relay is required if you have a cdi ignition. Here is a brief explanation with diagram:

1978 GS750E (barn find and current project)
          1997 Electra Glide
          1983 Goldwing

Comment

Unless you installed it you don't have a CDI (capacitive discharge ignition)- You have an "igniter"- also called TCI (transistor controlled ignition)

They are very different. I don't know anything about M-units but I don't see where the tci would present any problems- it's pretty much just a straight battery load feeding coils and interrupting them per the sensors.

Comment

Thanks Gorminrider, so the 450 is just like 4 cylinder bikes, no relay required . That was a informative link Jhurt but it does not apply to this application . Kenji , if you are using the m-unit basic , I recommend a toggle switch for your horn because the horn button is used to configure your m-unit. i strapped mine to the frame rail under the tank out of sight. Also don't forget that all inputs with the exception of the ignition lock are inputs to ground, dry contact, no voltage. I hope this helps.
              1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                X