What is this wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    Honda once used a nice rubber tip that flipped the side-stand up providing you hadnt leaned over too far. Its time for a retrofit. Get a bigg rubber eraser and a stove bolt.
    I've ridden off with it down. I suspect norwegian roads have a similar feature, its so bumpy here that the sidestand will be pushed up before you get up to speed. Generally the grinding noise alerts me pretty quickly.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
      this thread will never be complete without that phone video!
      c'mon now ... none of us will laugh, promise!
      Ok, against my better judgement (like so many things, lately), here’s the shakedown ride that almost ended before I even got out of the driveway. Oh, and my wife likes to make sudden, artistic, landscape/portrait orientation changes when shooting video. Sorry. And remember, you promised not to laugh.

Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

OK...that generated a chuckle, only because I think we've all done similar things in the past

P.S. I never promised I wouldn't laugh
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Ok, against my better judgement (like so many things, lately), here’s the shakedown ride that almost ended before I even got out of the driveway. Oh, and my wife likes to make sudden, artistic, landscape/portrait orientation changes when shooting video. Sorry. And remember, you promised not to laugh.

You handled it well. You should have just said you were testing your technique of emergency kickstand raising.
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Rich,

Good recovery. I too have recovered from driveway or parking lot take offs. But in my incident last year, I got up to maybe 50 mph, and didint figure out what was going on untill right before going off road (and something kicked me in butt and pavement coming up to my face).

THere is more to the Honda setup than just the rubber finger. The Honda setup (on my 86 VT500 anyway) kinda doesnt lock into place untill have bike leant over onto it., so if the stand is down/forward while bike upright it doesnt take much for it go back over the cam-over point and then spring return, but with bike leant onto the stand you can not push it back/up. Harleys do that too, which is why they dont go as far forward as we would be accustom to, but with bike leant over on it it is locked into place.

Noreg,

Well, we resolved your "what is this wire" question.
            And verified your oil pressure swtich and light operation.

We got you pointed in the right direction for the oil leak in that area, and the cam chain tensioner operation and repair.

And i Diverted the conversation with mentioning the sidestand light (that you dont have).
            Sorry, Mostly I wasmaking a joke about some people are more concerned about it than others. Well, at least I didnt divert the conversation even further by showing xrays of broken bone.
            My 82 650G had sidestand switch light. THen got 80 850G that I dont recall not having one. THen got 82 1100GK that has one. Os, apparently I thought all had it (along with gear indication).
            But then again, untill last summer, I haventy been too concerened about it, and havent paid much attention to it.
            But we got Steve to set me straight (again).
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I suspect that the vacuum petcock, clutch / starter interlock, and sidestand light are the result of product liability nanny switch suits.

The oil leaks you have, with the exception of the oil filter housing if its a stripped bolt, are pretty easy to fix.
              Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                I suspect that the vacuum petcock, clutch / starter interlock, and sidestand light are the result of product liability nanny switch suits.

The oil leaks you have, with the exception of the oil filter housing if its a stripped bolt, are pretty easy to fix.
                Two of the bolts got stuck to the acorn nuts and came out, the third one is too far in, and I'm lacking a washer (its too far in). It is also possible I slightly snagged the o-ring when installing it. My first oil filter change ever (on any vehicle) so I am sure my technique will improve.

I am ordering all the stuffs and things I need now.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Sometimes the oil filter gasket just doesn't want to lay in the groove.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    Sometimes the oil filter gasket just doesn't want to lay in the groove.
                    Im scared to open it again, Im afraid I will make it worse. I will make sure to have grease on hand next time to glue it stuck. And also have a very clean bike. I think some sand or grit made it leak first, and then I over torqued the nuts.

I just put an order in for new studs and nuts and washers, fingers cross they arrive before my next oil change (1600km /about 1000 miles). I'll put the new studs in with green loctite, and then use proper torque when reassembling. It will take some time to brake clean all the oil out. But I am sure I could survive riding some other bike for a week.
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

When you get your new studs, take note that there are more threads on one end than on the others. Put the end with fewer threads into the engine.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        When you get your new studs, take note that there are more threads on one end than on the others. Put the end with fewer threads into the engine.

The gapped part, is it supposed to be inside or outside the engine? I really dont want to stuck it the wrong way.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

the unthreaded portion is for the thickness of the filter's cover...if that's what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                          X