ughhh.. Looks like I'm in the market for a new stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
    Jim, please read what I wrote. I used both a shunt (FA) and a series (SH775) style R/Rs to test the system. One, the (SH775) was available but not installed yet and the other (shunt FH) is being replaced and was still mounted. Noted that the installation will be rather quick since no wiring changes will be needed other than hard wiring the stator to the R/R. Both style R/Rs utilized the same connectors and pinout. Just comparing one v/s the other on a no load condition. Noted that both produced a max voltage of around 12.8V when the output was connected but when run open circuit the FH (shunt) produced 15V while the series (SH775) produced no voltage output. More of an experiment than real empirical data but interesting none the less.

The new stator should arrive today so it looks like my next day off (Tues) will be bike day. Also picked up a pair of tires so those will be mounted as well. Should be ready for summer riding by the end of the day.
    Well i did read what you said and referred to this

It is the original stator and the R/R was a later model series style FH regulator.
    After previously rereading the sentence above at least twice, I took this sentence to mean that you thought that FH is a series R/R which I don't believe it is.

Comment

Just reread that in found my error.

Yep, sorry for the mistake. In fact the FH is a mosfet shunt regulator. Just meant that the FH physical form factor was the same as the SH775 with the same connectors and pinout. I'll correct it.
      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-30-2020, 11:36 AM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Installed my new Caltric stator. Was surprised to see I still had low charge voltage. Went back through everything and to my dismay I found a short from one leg of the stator to ground. Tore everything apart again expecting a pinch wire but did not see any problems at first. On a closer inspection with the stator out of the case I found the source of my problem. When Caltric manufactured the stator they left one of the winding leads long so it overlapped one of the bolt holes of the core. When the stator was tightened down it pinched the winding and caused the short. I was able to bend it back away from the core and give it enough clearance.
        Just wanted to give others a heads up to check and make sure winding's are out of the way and to check for shorts electrically before you mount the stator and case back onto the bike. Never happened to me before so I didn't check it before mounting the case. Lessons learned and it only cost me about 1 hour of time. Would have been less if it were not for the case guards.

Now have a new SH775 R/R and Caltric stator. Picked up a new Motobatt MBTX14AU AGM battery just to top it off. Should be good for years to come.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Good for you, Julius!

Glad you sorted out your stator problem. Enjoy the ride for years to come.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I didn't need a closer inspection to find my stator issue
            DSC_0071.jpg
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]61192[/ATTACH]
              Ouch! that's a bit of a hack job. Those connections are just wrong. There should be no connections behind the stator cover. I'd solder and heat shrink tube them over and do the same at the R/R side. Cover all the wires that are under any engine covers with with either heat shrink or some other anti abrasive jacket. That assuming you haven't done so already.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                Ouch! that's a bit of a hack job. Those connections are just wrong. There should be no connections behind the stator cover. I'd solder and heat shrink tube them over and do the same at the R/R side. Cover all the wires that are under any engine covers with with either heat shrink or some other anti abrasive jacket. That assuming you haven't done so already.
                I got a whole new complete harness from windings to the r/r.
                Makes zero sense to me to have any connectors in there.
                Considering the damage to the wires it was surprising that the stator survived.
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]61192[/ATTACH]
                  What the....?
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    What the....?
                    Exactamento.
                    By the time I found that one there was so much already on the list of horrors that I wasn't too surprised.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Working...
                    X