Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyless ignition w/ remote Q

Fellas,
    With my fork conversion complete, I am finding it quite troublesome to put the key in the ignition switch on my GS11es/GSXR front end. The GSXR had the gauges set down quite a bit compared to the GS... blah, blah, blah....

To put a point on the stick, I am looking to put a remote, keyless ignition switch on my bike in place of the.... maybe in parallel with, the keyed switch. Original thought was maybe RFID that recognized me when I approached, thumb the starter & motor off.

A less costly alternative looks like a key fob with a on/off button that would fire the ignition enabling me to start up & ride away.

Have you done this? Are there any pitfalls that should be avoided? What should I be on the look-out for?
    Paul

sigpic

It can be done. The easiest way is with a motogadget but’s that’s $$$

There was a guy here working on this years ago... haven’t seen him around in while, shouldn’t be too hard to do with the right module.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi, you can get rid of your ignition switch with a motogadget m-lock. It's just a rfid fob that turns on your ignition. It's a very clean setup, I installed mine behind the side panel. The price , I thought was reasonable, about $ 170 usd. Pros - clean and simple, thief won't try to use a screwdriver to start your bike. Cons - a bit pricey and you lose your steering lock.
      1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Thanks Chris,
        I didn't realize the M-lock could operate as a "stand-alone" device. I thought it needed the whole thing installed.
        Paul

sigpic

Comment

Something like this will do the trick:

The bandwidth is 315MHz. This switch requires a 12v DC power source with a minimum of 500mA of current for proper operation. The remote mode features latching, on/off, and two buttons, water resistance.

Hook it up to a 40A relay and you're good to go.

Output device is your relay to run power:

Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            Thanks Chris,
            I didn't realize the M-lock could operate as a "stand-alone" device. I thought it needed the whole thing installed.
            Yes, in my case I just used the m-lock to turn on the m-unit, but with standard wiring it would switch a relay that replaces your ignition switch. Mine came with a relay that I did not use. M-lock is very simple, three wires +,- and switching to power your relay. The MSD unit is much cheaper even with the added cost of a relay, but I do have some concerns. One, if you accidently hit the off button when riding, think of passing a truck. The controller is sitting in one of your pockets jingling around. Two, I assume the controller has a battery that can die at a inconvenient moment so you should keep a spare battery.
            Last edited by chris; 11-04-2020, 02:59 PM.
            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Working...
            X