No spark to negative sides of coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark to negative sides of coils

Gonna go pickup fuses and replace all the ones in the fusebox first before anything, had a spare one but its bent inside so probably not a good one and all the rest being used have been there before I had the bike, it sat for 2 years atleast during that period.

So I replaced the leads and retwisted on the plug caps I recently bought, and my negative charges on the coilpack have zero to one spark every blue moon. I dont think it's the coilpacks because at one point all four were sparking. What could it possibly be?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Switched the fuse and I do have a more consistent spark on the negative coils, but still they are VERY weak spark, making me think there's possibly a bad connection somewhere.

I cleaned plenty of connections and the one I'm gonna question is the wire that is grounded on the negative screw on my fusebox, but what are other things to check, is testing the coilpacks worth it if they still seem to work, but have a possibly bad connection somewhere?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Cleaned connections for the negative fusebox ground and clipped the wire back some to reveal fresh wire, didnt do anything sadly. Is there somewhere else I should be looking at?
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

I'm guessing this would be a ground issue if it's not the coilpack themselves
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Switches the leads and the spark did not move, what's a test I can run on the coilpacks?
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Is there any way i can test for voltage on the connections that go to the coilpack to make sure it's something before the coilpack
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

The ground for both ignition coils comes thru the ignitor....make sure the ignitor has a good ground. The plate the ignitor and r/r sits on has a weak ground connection,easily corroded.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                The ground for both ignition coils comes thru the ignitor....make sure the ignitor has a good ground. The plate the ignitor and r/r sits on has a weak ground connection,easily corroded.
                What's the ignitor? Does it have a wire that is used as the ground?
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Made a ground for it and nothing changed
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the ignitor have a built in ground? Black wire all the way to the left
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                      Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt the ignitor have a built in ground? Black wire all the way to the left
                      Yes....the four connector plug (under seat) contains a ground wire. Make sure this connector is clean. I suspect that ignitor case is also grounded, but the primary ground is thru the connector.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                        Is there any way i can test for voltage on the connections that go to the coilpack to make sure it's something before the coilpack
                        Look up "voltage drop".

Everycomponent of the circuit has its own voltage drop. Every switch, wire , connection,coil, ignitor ...that's included in the loop "from" and "returning to" the battery has its own "voltage drop"...therefore, your coils will never have exactly the same voltage "across them" (aka "voltage drop") as across the battery's + and - terminals. BUT wires, switches and connections should ideally be so small as to be invisible.
                        The ignitor has a voltage drop.
                        It's a little different than points, which, when closed, ideally would have nearly 0 vd. When open, however, the ignition circuit is open and so no voltage across any thing in the circuit ..It gets a little more complicated on an operating engine, when capacitors and semiconductors and coils are in play and of course the generator too, but the drift of it should help ensure that things are as well connected as they can be.

remember that the sum of all the voltage drops in a circuit = the power source's output potential and all circuits connected to the power source have the same sum.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-10-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Did a video showing what I've messed with, its 6 minutes long. If anything looks to be wrong let me know

Will be checking for voltage
                          Last edited by timebombprod; 03-10-2021, 08:00 PM.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Gonna be charging the battery making sure that it has enough juice, it spins the engine fine but just making sure. When I get all my parts in I'm gonna be putting the bike together and starting it up seeing how it idles
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Batteries showing an error with the charger I'm using, gonna take it to an auto parts store in the morning and have then charge it see if it still reads an error.

R/R and stator have been changed and nothing but good results have been shown.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X