• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging test

First the mode I'm on is DCV set to 20

Okay so key off reading 12.7V

Key on but engine off 12.3V

1500 rpm is 13.5V, also read 13.3V the second time I tested but was shortly going up the volts by 0.01s

Bike went to about 4000 on it's own, still reading 13.3V

Key off after bike ran 12.8V

Now Where to inspect or replace?
    Last edited by timebombprod; 03-17-2021, 03:48 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Considering the methods you use to diagnose issues, ask questions, get feedback then move on to another issue without resolving ANY of them I suggest you go here: https://suzukicycles.com/street
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Waste of a comment.

What have I not resolved other than the idle rise and a brand new issue that i am guessing ties in with it.

Leave me alone Leonard you're no help.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

...what on earth are you trying to ask exactly, Ian?

(That charging system is fine, I'd say).

(Edit: Correction, no it's too weak at higher rpms)
        Last edited by roeme; 03-19-2021, 04:32 AM.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Your charging is not adequate....my last stator preformed better even though it was cooked. Personally, I’d go back to your idle issue. A fully charged battery supplies enough juice to run this critter for 1 hour plus (headlight off )with charging system disconnected....you either have air leaks or misfiring spark plugs
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was asking where to start because from the charging test that rich has in his signature, my idle speed voltage was .2 volts higher than it should be, and the 2500rpm (well, 4000) was at 13.3V when it should be 13.5-14V. Now that idle speed reading and the 4000rpm reading were on two different cycles of the bike being turned on. I thought those readings were abnormal.

So, hanging idle, its kindove getting solved.

Couple nights ago I had the carbsync hooked up which has o-ring fittings on the brass connections and also had my vacuum line blocked off but as it seems, there was a tiny bit of air coming through. The next morning I had fit back the bolts that go in the sync area of the boots and had my vacuum line back on. Ran like crap.

This lead me to believe I'm running rich at idle, along with me riding the bike and having terrible sound and power at low speed, but having the power graciously come in after about 2500 rpm.

Well, part of me was right, I got to tuning and with the vacuum line blocked off, again not completely, I got the thing running pretty dam good, and most of all, no hanging idle.

I hooked up my vacuum line and, ran pretty bad again, got back to tuning more and I got rid of the hanging idle once again but this time I could not get the bike to sit at idle speed without the hanging idle returning, if I had the idle screw low but had my hand on the throttle, all was well. If I had the bike idle onit's own, that hanging idle came back.

Put the bike away for now as it was late anand I'm sure its annoying to hear me rev my bike every 5 minutes for almost an hour.

Almost had it I thought.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

And, new spark plugs, as well as leads, have great blue sparking on all 4.

New boots aswell as new airbox rubbers. Wish it would've been a vacuum leak solved lol. Might refit stuff but the carbs seemed to be on there all the way
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
              X