GS850G Fuel gauge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G Fuel gauge issue

I did have the instruments professionally restored and have been happy with the job but have used the bike very little since completing a total restoration,
    Although the bike has had little use it has been used and the fuel gauge has worked ok.
    On a ride yesterday I noticed that fuel gauge was near zero and that matched what was in the tank so I put 8 litres in but the gauge did not move (or so I thought).
    After a 1 hour ride I returned home and noticed that the gauge was showing a little under half full which is probably close to what it should show. However the gauge stays at that even with the sender disconnected and the two wires going to the gauge connected together which should give a full reading.
    I am now thinking that the gauge must have a fault within itself or the "Fuel Gauge Regulator" which is shown on my wiring diagram has a fault.
    I cannot even see the said Fuel Gauge Regulator after removing the back cover from the instrumwnts.
    Anyone out there have words of widom to offer?

The post below is from another member, it may be of some use to you

If you have the OEM workshop manual from the BassCliff site, there is a detailed section on testing and troubleshooting the
    fuelgauge and meter in the Electrical System section. Pages 262/454 to 266/454 in the PDF or actual page numbers in manual are 12-23 to 12-27. Note that the manual calls the section inside the revcounter the "meter" and the part inside the fuel tank the "gauge".

The tests describe how you determine if it is the meter or the gauge (float portion inside the fuel tank) that is defective. The fact that the needle of your fuel indicator now always shows full after you swapped the wires, shows that that part is working and your problem is at the float unit inside the fuel tank. Very often the problem is caused by a loose wire or poor contact at the variable resistor part of the float inside the fuel tank.

On the BassCliff site there is a "FuelGauge send unit repair"

EDIT: The page numbers I quoted above are from the 850 manual.
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Working...
    X