A (probably) dumb R/R placement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A (probably) dumb R/R placement question

I'm about to start the wiring phase of my build, but before I do, I'm trying to work out the placement for the R/R. I'm trying to clear the triangle under the seat and hunting up a good location that I can tuck away the SH775 while still getting it airflow and not overheating. Here's the dumb question: I swapped the L tank for a G, which has left a nice size space under the tank and above the carbs; would mounting in that cavity be an overwhelmingly dumb idea in terms of engine heat burning out the R/R, and if not, am I missing some other reason why it's a terrible idea?

Thanks!
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

1.Get a thermometer and put it under there.
    2. Ride around, look at it. Take note.
    3.after "2" let the warmed up bike idle as in a traffic jam or long traffic lights. Take note.
    personally, I'd look somewhere else-maybe under the battery box though you wouldn't want a battery leaking on it. or -I did this because it didn't easily fit where the original was and it was easy. I didn't have to adjust wire length I've since managed to get it under the side cover but THIS is hard to beat for staying cool
    400EX Regulator Mount june22-2016.jpg
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-28-2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I'm by no means an expert, but in my opinion I would mount it as far from any heat source as possible. Are you using an SH775 regulator?

I mounted my SH755 under the battery box on my 850L. The existing holes in the bottom of the box lined up perfectly with the holes on the SH775 and haven't had any issues.

As for a battery leaking onto the SH775, I use sealed batteries so shouldn't ever be an issue under normal conditions with a healthy battery.
      Last edited by 93Bandit; 02-28-2022, 01:15 PM.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

up on one side of the steering head directly in clean air.
        some bikes did this oem.

now a truly clever thing would be to affix it to the front via a clever use of an expandable plug right up in the botton of that hole in the middle of the triple tree
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I appreciate all the advice! I'll look elsewhere for a mounting point. I think I can fab a bracket to put it up under the seatpan and above the mudguard, which, with all of the electronics moved into a tray under the seat, is otherwise open to the air and well away from heat sources. It's the last bit of the electronics that I've not yet been able to hide, and I'm hoping I can satisfy both the practical and aesthetic, though the practical will win out if it ends up being a contest.

Thanks again!

Comment

No problem…here’s my sh-775 as mounted 9 years ago.upside down on an aluminum plate at rear tank mount. Plenty of air flow (unless you’re stuck in traffic)
            28AB8405-6F1E-422F-A8EE-67BCC4914372.jpg
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              THIS is hard to beat for staying cool
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]63921[/ATTACH]
              Temperature-wise, yes. "Cool" wise, no. Nobody was talking about Miles Davis' temperature.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've got mine right behind the battery box kinda resting on the rear fender on my 83 750. I put heat reflecting tape on the fender. So far seems to be fine.

Mad
                83 GS750E
                2006 ZX14
                2004 KTM 450 EXC
                2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

I've moved things on the side panel to make it fit. I've also seen it fitted to the side of the battery box or underneath on some bikes. Works fine there. An AGM battery cures any issues with battery acid leakage.....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I've moved things on the side panel to make it fit. I've also seen it fitted to the side of the battery box or underneath on some bikes. Works fine there. An AGM battery cures any issues with battery acid leakage.....
                    I actually went with a lithium iron this go around, so no leakage worries there either. I'm trying to keep the triangle area in the frame open so the side panels are gone. Pretty sure I've found the space to put it up out of the way, just get to spend some more time fabricating brackets.

By the way, the brake conversion brackets I got from you worked perfectly! Thanks again.

Comment

"Nobody was talking about Miles Davis' temperature."

His temp was always on the high side...

Comment

Working...
                      X