Recommend a good tap and die set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a good tap and die set

Hopefully this is an appropriate topic for this section.

It's time to upgrade my tap and die set. I bought a cheapy set from O'Reilly when I was in a pinch and it does OK but the results are hit or miss, and it doesn't have all the sizes I need.

I'd like a nice set, I'm ok with spending some money if it's worth it. I'd like as many sizes as possible, metric and standard. Mostly need for small engine and automotive work, so I don't think I'd need anything bigger than 1/2" or so. If a set comes with sizes greater than 1/2" that's ok as long as I get all the smaller sizes too.

I've watched some reviews on YouTube of various popular brands, craftsman, Irwin, Bosch, gear wrench etc. The craftsman 75pc set seems to be the highest quality of those brands for the money. At this point I'm leaning towards the craftsman, but would like to hear opinions from the other gearheads on here.

Thanks!
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

As a retired machinist, I would say to buy American-made cutting tools. You'll pay more, but quality costs.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
      As a retired machinist, I would say to buy American-made cutting tools. You'll pay more, but quality costs.
      Can you recommend some brands?
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

R&N, Union Butterfield or my fav SKF/DORMER (not US made... but neither am I)
        An industrial supplier will have a house brand, made in asia, and a decent brand, NOT made is asia... BUY THE DECENT BRAND.

... and you probably don't need a " set". Buy #1, 2 and 3 taps in the sizes you NEED. You will never use a 9mm x 1.0, but a 10 x 1.0 bottoming tap (which doesn't come in a "set") comes in handy.
        Last edited by bitzz; 06-25-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

HSS is much better than carbon steel for cutting tools. Most all the cheap sets are carbon steel.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I bought a Lang thread chaser set. Lang makes the Snap On ones and they work really well. I'm sure they make Tap and Die sets as well. Good quality for the price IMO.

1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I've had an Irwin set for a few years now and it suits my needs just fine. Sure there are plenty of sizes I don't need, but it has most of the ones I do need. I think I've had to buy two extra sizes, one for spark plugs and one M12 or M14 for cleaning out 15 year old under carriage threads so I could mount a trailer hitch
              Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Mundy Township Michigan. Located between Flint and Detroit. Bandit, you are centered in about the biggest tool capital in the world.
                What I would do is go to your local Industrial Supply store. It may have a sign saying No Retail Sales. But if you have cash and know what you want it's usually not a problem. They sell quality tools. No Tool and Die shop is going to buy crap tooling.
                Build your collection slowly. When you need a tap, go buy it.
                OSG brand is what we've been using lately... They seem to snap just as easy as the other brands.
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                X