Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D Printer parts, files, STL, materials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Printer parts, files, STL, materials?

Anybody making or using 3D printer parts, such as the compartment doors for fairings, housings for throttles, etc?

I was thinking the exact same thing recently about sidecovers, that always seem to be missing.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

It's a lot easier said than done. Materials that can survive out in the sun are more difficult to work with and may have some undesirable properties. The CAD work is non-trivial, and surface finish for cosmetic parts would be just unacceptable without a lot of post-processing. I've done some little doodads for the bike, But something like a side cover would be extremely challenging.

In other words, just keep watching eBay.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hey buddy, long time...

Thanks for the comments. You're right, Ebay would be much easier, lol

I was thinking ABS or ASA. Direct sun is really hard on most filaments.

ABS finishes easier with acetone, but ASA is much more "human friendly" while printing.

I have a couple of printers and upgrading one for full enclosure printing. Working out UBL instead of Bilinear leveling due to the bugs in Marlin 2.x when autoleveling with a probe.

Won't be ready to try it for a while, it's my spare time hobby, which isn't so often these days.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK View Post
          Anybody making or using 3D printer parts, such as the compartment doors for fairings, . . . . . . . . .
          I got some extra GK fairing parts, that maybe could use as models. Some of the compartments are pockets that fit into the fairing and have hinged lids. SOme of the others are flat covers, but also have metal clips/fingers. And some of the covers are pretty much flat and mount with screws.

We could discuss what parts you need.

Aside from what printing materail to use, would be intersting to know if you have to measure and draw (ACAD or whatever) from scratch or you have some way to scan or something to get started.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That sounds like a good option, thanks for the offer. Fusion 360 seems to be the program of choice. I can fuddle through it but would probably be better off paying someone else to make the files.

I was thinking some of the locking tops can become locking + hinged with TPU as the hinge to stay water tight.

Probably about 2-3 weeks from doing this, TBH. Gotta reassemble my daughter's Impreza after getting the heads done so it is out of the way and I can use the garage and tools. LOL

Comment

Working...
            X