Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which thread repair?

Project Farm tests them, so you don't have to
    Last edited by Big T; 07-22-2022, 01:50 PM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

I like Timeserts.

Comment

I'd never thought too much about it, but would have never thought any repair would be twice as strong as the orig. threads. Amazing what we can learn around here.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Heli-coil and the like seem to get a bad rep... but I always take it with a grain of salt as usually the guy telling me the thread repair is CRAP, is the guy that just galled all the thread off his sparkplug or drain plug.
        Thread inserts were not originally designed as thread repair. A properly installed threaded insert makes connections stronger (they are larger diameter so have more contact area, so the same as using a larger bolt) and were extensively used in aerospace applications in aluminum.

Comment

The biggest compliant with the coil types is that they sometimes back out with the screw on disassembly. I'm told the fix for this is to stake the material near the top end of the coil so it can't back out. I've never done this myself; just reporting what I've been told.

The machine shop I work for prefers the E-Z-Lok for the ease of installation. Costs a bit more to buy, but saves on that precious unbillable time. Also, they don't back out.
          Last edited by Dogma; 07-31-2022, 03:12 PM.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Being in the fastener trade here in the UK, I sell loads of genuine Helicoil inserts and generic wire thread inserts. As long as the holes are drilled correctly and the inserts are installed correctly they are as good as the original thread. Did hear somewhere that Rolls Royce use Helicoil / helical inserts in all of the engine blocks as standard.
            1978 GS750(E) I think

Comment

I have used TimeSerts and really think they are the best - but they are also costly $$
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
              X