Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000 no-start

Hi all,

I'm stumped and at the end of my rope. Hoping I can get a sanity check and some troubleshooting advice.

The subject is a 1980 GS1000. Stock, with CV carbs.

My bike began running poorly around 2020. In an effort to get it running well I pulled the carbs off the bike and followed the rebuild guide here. Didn't fix the problem, and the bike sat for a few years.

This spring, determined to get it running, I pulled it out and did the following:

Went through the carbs again. I pulled all the jets and needles. Cleaned everything surgically with carb cleaner and compressed air. Checked the float levels and bench synched according to the bwringer page. I didn't degang the carbs but pulled them down as far as I could otherwise. The carb boots are still supple and in good condition.
    I checked the valves. They're all within spec, slightly on the looser side on the exhaust at 0.08mm.
    Installed a Dyna-S ignition and new coils. (Left coil is cylinder 1 and 4, right is 2-3). Followed the instructions for install, including base timing (holding the rotor advanced until it just trips the light then locking it down). There is obvious spark when the ignitor fires. I'm confident in having 1 and 4 set properly. 2 and 3, the ignition timing mark is over the 23 on the rotor when the coils trip fully advanced. The voltages at the coils are what they are supposed to be according to dynatek.

Attempting to fire is not fruitful. I've tried with the airbox on, choked and unchoked. The bowls are filled and plugs are getting wet. I've tried airbox off, holding cardboard over the carb throats. This wets the cardboard with fuel. When I do this, it will sometimes catch briefly on cyclinders 2 and 4 before dying. It generally will not fire. I have had some massive backfires.

I consider myself reasonably mechanically able and have never been stumped like this before. It's driving me to drink. Suggestions on where to go next with my troubleshooting? Is the timing way off? Massive air leak I'm overlooking? Carbs not running right?

Thanks in advance for getting my old GS back to the road.

Do you have good spark? Could the two coils be mixed up?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would revisit the installation of the dyna ignition first
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Dyna instructions.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Often if the coils are reversed, you get a massive bang from the pipes.
          Not that I've ever done that, oh no.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You mention a Dyna S and an ignitor
            those two are incompatible
            The igniter is deleted with a Dyna S
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Often if the coils are reversed, you get a massive bang from the pipes.
              Not that I've ever done that, oh no.
              Yes that 'may' have happened to me, when I found the Dyna on my GS1000 was draining the battery due to miswiring and I investigated. I 'may' have put the pickup 180 degrees out of whack.

If plugs are truly wet it sounds like ignition but you sound like you'd know that anyway. What do you know about the bike's history, wiring, etc? What led you to land on carbs as the problem in the first place? Knowing what happened before it started running poorly will help others get the big picture, for example, if it sat for a while without riding before things went south. If it began running worse one day during continuous use I'd think of other things like ignition, exhaust leak, and inside the engine, unless....

Once while sorting out a couple of Suzukis after rebuild they both started misfiring, backfiring, not idling etc. I had been working on carbs (of course) but it finally dawned on me that I filled both up the same day from the same station. Drained and refilled the tank, problem solved. That was extremely mystifying until the light bulb went on. Hopefully the fuel isn't from 2020 .

Don't let it drive you to drink, that's what your significant other is for.
              Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-14-2024, 12:31 PM.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
              X