No announcement yet.

1100G(GK) ignition switch stuck in Park position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You already know lubrication is key to resolving this, so let me add a bit more
    Putting WD40 into the key slot is a half-way measure and you have already done it.
    The base of the lock is where the problem lies, so you need to put some there, too.
    A hair dryer may help, as was also mentioned above.

After it loosens pull the switch, disassemble it and clean it thoroughly

Note this please:

Before doing anything with the switch get a large, clear, plastic bag.

Once the switch is off the bike you will do EVERYTHING inside that clear plastic bag.

The switch is obviously very dirty and parts are sticky.
    The switch is easy to work on but once it is opened some parts will try very hard to escape by any means possible.

Bearings are particularly unfriendly and once they taste freedom they can be very elusive.

That said, if one of them does escape you can use a common BB as replacement
    BBs are copper-clad steel and, while just a bit smaller than original bearings, they work perfectly.
    (Remember that plastic bag recommendation?)

Soak the components in solvent, then clean and dry them thoroughly.
    Lubricate parts before re-assembling the switch.......all of this still inside the bag.
    Last edited by argonsagas; 05-24-2024, 11:45 AM.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Dave, I locked the ignition on my GS1100E years ago on a trip to Wisconsin, and couldn't get it unlocked.
      Removed the ignition in the motel parking lot to get home. Never did get it unlocked. Ended up buying a NOS ignition switch off eBay.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Dave, here’s a short video of how the bolt moves and locks against a flap of metal on the steering head. .
        ..eo]
        I see... I see it in your vidio...

Thanks.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hey, even with GK fairing, can get a look (on one side) at the top of the steering neck with the bars locks way over.

With expereince of viewing Richs vidio - Thanks Rich - then knew what to look for, and Hey! can see the tang that comes out of the ignition key mechanism and locks the bars.

there, just above center of the photo, that bare metalic rectangular piece.

In my case, I noticed that it would wiggle some when I tried to turn key away from the Park Position. So that made me think it wasnt completly jammed up.

Got so spray lube on it, aimed it in along the side and top of the tang, thinking it migh go some into the mechanism.

Came back about half hour later, got a screw driver on it and I pushed on it while turning the key, and - click - it went back into the mechanism - bars unlocked.
          Now to decide what else to do.

THanks Guys!

(now to deal with hanging idle. I know what to look for. Have delt with that before.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I recall an often repeated adage: " If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Many think it works for them, but maintenance is essential for anything to last, and.once a problem has developed, it is best to deal with it.
            These switches had grease in them initially, but what I saw inside mine was that the grease had dried out or wore out, making it sticky internally.
            I suspect that is what has happened in yours, too.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

To met "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has no relation to maintenance... maintenance keeps things from getting broke.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

My 11EZ got stuck in the lock position recently; some panicked pressure on the handlebars and key jiggling un-stuck it.
                I almost never used it when actually parking the bike somewhere. I just rarely left her anywhere 'dangerous' for more than a few minutes.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

This also happened to me and the fix was to use a new freshly cut key, cut to the code for your bike. The key was worn down and not able to move the pins in the tumbler to the correct positions.
                  1981 GS 1000GLX.
                  1981 GS 1000G.
                  1981 GS 650GLX.
                  1975 TS 185.
                  1972 100. Kawasaki.
                  1968 100. Suzuki.
                  1970 Z 50. Honda.
                  1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                  1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Yep it happened to me I was lucky to get the lock off,I ended up getting a new ignition switch
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

Working...
                    X