No announcement yet.

Penetrating Oil Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a timely discussion. I have to get the rear brake drum re-lined on my vintage Husky race bike and have to completely dis-assemble the entire rear wheel assembly. I started trying to loosen the corroded nipples on the spokes using Liquid Wrench this afternoon. About a third of them loosened; the rest I'm soaking overnight. If that doesn't work, I know I have some acetone & (RedLine) ATF on the shelf in the garage. Just need to figure out how to best apply it. Sure beats buying a new set of spokes & niples, although I may do it anyway- about $90 at Buchanan's for a set of stainless spokes & nipples.

Comment

At work the other day, we were talking about getting seized bolts out and my boss, an old Navy man, said Tabasco sauce works well! Never tried it though.....
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Liquid Wrench for loosening.

PB Blaster for eating rust.

LW always penetrates better for me.

Especially if I use some heat and vibration.

Comment

I love Liquid Wrench, though not the environmentally friendly non flamable stuff. I still just don't understand why people use wd40 as a penetrating oil

Comment

I will vouch for the kroil hard to come buy, but thats all we use in aviation, good stuff

Comment

Working...
            X