Poor Performance Upon Warm Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Could your needle jets and/or jet needles be worn? It doesn't take much.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I just did the valve clearances, they are all within spec. I guess I will pull the carbs AGAIN. I'm trying not to guess here. Anyone seen similar problems. Just took it for a ride. I doesnt want to go over 3500 rpm and it struggles bad up hills. After it completely bogs down and losses all power, I shut it down for five minutes, and get enough to get home.

Comment

This is probably not your problem, but I just read another thread about exhaust out the carb... there was a rock in the exhaust sustem... look for this thread... Maybe?
        sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

The members name is Danjal... He told you to check your exhaust just in this thread. Look under carb,fuel,exhaust tech and you will find his thread...
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Saw the thread, pulled the exhaust, and took it down the road with no pipes. It doesn't seem to be any better. It was very choppy running with no real power. o smoke out of the airbox though. I am running out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus23 View Post
              Saw the thread, pulled the exhaust, and took it down the road with no pipes. It doesn't seem to be any better. It was very choppy running with no real power. o smoke out of the airbox though. I am running out of ideas.
              Is that something one should do? I was always told (on car engines, albeit) that running without an exhaust is very bad.

Comment

Don't run without an exhaust. You'll burn your valves.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have had coils go bad so that they shorted out when hot. They would work fine for about a half hour, then the bike would quit.

You said that last year it ran OK for 45 min. but this year it doesn't, right?

Your bogging symptoms certainly sound like carbs with non functioning pilot circuits. If choke helps, that confirms it. How are you cleaning them? The pilot circuit comes from themain jet, the brass air jet in the eir horn, the pilot jet, the air screw, and two ports by the butterfly. There are lots of internal passages in the pilot circuit. If you hate to separate the carbs from the rack, like I do, thak the air screw, pilot jet, and air jet out and clean them. Look through them. Spray carb cleaner into the ports these came out of and confirm that it comes out of all the other ports. Reassemble replacing the two O rings in the pilot circuit.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Number 4 is too rich. I doubt that the smoke you see in your airbox is exhaust. It is most likely from your crankcase. Do you have a hose attached to your airbox that comes from the top of the valve cover? Have you cleaned out that hose or taken off the cover from where it hooks up?

Looks to me like you need to address why #4 is rich. My guess would be carb adjustment or bad spark plug wire/boot.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                    X