Swingarm Stand Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm Stand Recommendations

I had the low profile All Aluminium model from Harbor Freight with the optional swingarm adapters (like flat L brackets as opposed to spool stands)...

It collapsed the other day almost dumping my 1000 on the ground. It was also pretty tricky to get bike on & off the stand.

Don't want to make that mistake again so what can people recommend?

Went to the local "Cycle Gear" today... they had a Pit Bull model that looked high quality but was $150 plus tax & a couple of other cheaper ones that looked like some of the ones going for $50 on Ebay (except these were $100...)

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I bought this one a while back from BikeBandit. I remember paying about $85 (on sale) but could have been more. It is very sturdy; no flexing or bending. Only issue is the rubber blocks slip a little. I finally wrapped duct tape around the fingers and that basically stopped it.

It works with either rubber blocks or with spools.

I should mention, I often put the ED on the stand and then can push the bike forward (across the drive way a short distance) while it rolls on the 4 stand wheels.
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.

Seriously they are *the* stand to have. Look in any race paddock and all you'll see is Pit Bull stands. I have front and rear Pitbull stands and I'm pretty sure that after a nuclear holocaust the only things remaining intact will be cockroaches, Twinkies and Pit Bull stands. They are that sturdy.

Check eBay and the WERA forums- secondhand ones can be had for under $100 quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.

Seriously they are *the* stand to have. Look in any race paddock and all you'll see is Pit Bull stands. I have front and rear Pitbull stands and I'm pretty sure that after a nuclear holocaust the only things remaining intact will be cockroaches, Twinkies and Pit Bull stands. They are that sturdy.

Check eBay and the WERA forums- secondhand ones can be had for under $100 quite often.
        Gonna have to go with PJ on this one, they are expensive but worth the money IMO. I have used the rear mount versions to transport my FZ and it worked fantastic, rock solid equipment.

Comment

As stated before, and most likely again, Pit Bull. Just sold mine that I used with my last bike (Buell XB9R) as it was not much use for my GS750C.

You can buy cheaper, but I never worried that my stand would fold like a cheap Chinese lawn chair.

And they are made in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.

Pit Bull.
            Ditto

Ditto

Ditto
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

Bugger... I was that close to picking one up. Now I might have to drive back down there!!

I was a little worried that the legs may not be tall enough tobwork with the skunk... Need to di some measuring
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Anyone used one of their forward handle rear stands?
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

How's the "T Rex" stands... look very similar to pit bull..
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    No Dan it is "Pit Bull" or nothing

Comment

Dan,

I have the T-Rex stands and they work fine for me. I'm sure they aren't as nice as Pit Bull but they are much cheaper. You can get front and rear T-Rex stands for the price of just a rear Pit Bull. I use the rear much more than the front and have used it on anything from a KTM dirt bike to GSXRs and my beloved Katana. It has mostly been used on bikes without spools but also on bikes with spools. I have never had an issue.

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

A very nice inexpensive stand from NewEnough:

T-Rex stands:
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Cycle gear has that one from New Enough and the one in the shop was already bent... The leg wasn't upright.

I prefer the design of the T Rex that look like pit bull with the welded arm rather than bent.

Thanks for the link. Think the T Rex might be on the cards after Joe's review.

Wonder what the difference is on the V max stand. Thinkingbit might be slightly taller.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Cycle gear has that one from New Enough and the one in the shop was already bent... The leg wasn't upright.

I prefer the design of the T Rex that look like pit bull with the welded arm rather than bent.

Thanks for the link. Think the T Rex might be on the cards after Joe's review.

Wonder what the difference is on the V max stand. Thinkingbit might be slightly taller.
                            Dan,

Let me know if you would like any pics or measurements...

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

pit bull or wood craft
                              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                              X