Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black oil filter....

Hi,

When I removed my old oil filter to replace it I noticed it was very dark/black in colour from use.

Does this mean its very old? Or is it normal for an oil filter to turn dark like this after a bit of use?

The last ower told me it had a full service about a year ago, but I find it hard to belive this filter was only a year old, + he said he didnt do much milage between the service and selling it to me about 2 months ago.

Its not that I didnt belive him, but Im giving the bike the once over anyway myself bit by bit so I know where I stand from me owning it.

Thanks

Seanie, I would not worry about it too much, it is pretty normal for the filter to be black, it shows that it is doing its job, the discolouration is the impurities that have been trapped by the filter, rather than circulating around your engine causing damage.
    The blackening of the oil is mainly due to carbon based impurities, the piston rings, even from brand new, are not a perfect seal and small amounts of combustion gasses do bypass the rings and enter the crankcase, these are rich in carbon, which is a by-product of the burning of the fuel.
    A year is a bit long for a filter to go unchanged, and of course "didnt do much milage" is a very subjective term.
    Don't worry, just treat your motor to fresh clean oil and filter often and your motor will give you years of service, clean oil and filter is the best insurance you can give your motor.

Comment

Can't say I have seen a black oil filter since leaded gas disappeared, usually mine is brown and I run it for 5000km between changes.

Comment

Working...
      X