GS1100EX - Fuel Tank Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EX - Fuel Tank Mounts

As I work through restoration of this 1981 GS1100EX, I'm planning to acquire the proper OEM fuel tank mounting hardware ... which is currently missing.

When looking at the on-line parts fiche, I see there is an item called "CUSHION, CENTER", part # 09329-01005 , which is a rectangular block of rubber I presume. Where exactly does this rubber cushion/block get mounted? Is it glued somewhere to the underside of the tank? I noticed that there is a rectangular flat spot on an upper frame member, just towards the rear underside of the tank ... does this rubber cushion get glued to this frame member area?

I also still have the two items called "CUSHION, FRONT NO.2 ", part # 44542-49200 , which are loosely placed on the upper center frame rail just behind the coils. Is this the correct mounting location for these rubber frame tube cushions?

Any help with this would be appreciated, and a photo showing proper placement would be very helpful if possible. Thanks

When looking at the on-line parts fiche, I see there is an item called "CUSHION, CENTER", part # 09329-01005 , which is a rectangular block of rubber I presume. Where exactly does this rubber cushion/block get mounted? Is it glued somewhere to the underside of the tank? I noticed that there is a rectangular flat spot on an upper frame member, just towards the rear underside of the tank ... does this rubber cushion get glued to this frame member area?
    On my '80 there is a metal tab that holds that rubber on around where the back of the tank would sit. The rubber just slides onto it. No glueing required.

I also still have the two items called "CUSHION, FRONT NO.2 ", part # 44542-49200 , which are loosely placed on the upper center frame rail just behind the coils. Is this the correct mounting location for these rubber frame tube cushions?
    The fische I looked at doesn't have the part numbers for that part, #9 on the diagram? My bike did not have that part, possibly because it's an '80 or just lost by a previous owner. From looking at the fische, I would think you are correct on where they go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
      On my '80 there is a metal tab that holds that rubber on around where the back of the tank would sit. The rubber just slides onto it. No glueing required.
      Thanks ... but are you talking about a place with metal tabs on the frame ... or on the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by Tourmaster View Post
        As I work through restoration of this 1981 GS1100EX, I'm planning to acquire the proper OEM fuel tank mounting hardware ... which is currently missing.

Sits on a little 'platform' on the frame at the rear of the tank and pushes on - no need for glue.

You should have 2 little prongs on the side of your frame, about 5mm long give or take, just in front of the coils. the rubbers just push on to these.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You should have 2 little prongs on the side of your frame, about 5mm long give or take, just in front of the coils. the rubbers just push on to these.
          I thought he was talking about those as well, until I looked at the fische. On the fische there is another rubber cushion that looks like it would just wrap around the frame under the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
            I thought he was talking about those as well, until I looked at the fische. On the fische there is another rubber cushion that looks like it would just wrap around the frame under the tank.
            Aaah - there should be 2 of them - one on each side. It'll need a photo to show where they go as it's not easy to describe.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Okay, so I think I've got the idea with the retangular rubber cushion near the rear of the tank. There is a rectangular metal bracket on the frame that is near the rear of the tank ... so will assume that's were it goes.

The other frame mount cushions I mentioned, are the ones at the very bottom of this diagram ... (not the ones at the very front of the tank). This diagram only shows one, but the fiche listing, and my bike, has two for quantity. These cushions are currently wrapped around the tubular frame member just to the rear of the coil area. Does the frame actually ride on these suckers and have i got them in the right place? Again, a photo showing these cushions in place would really help if possible. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Okay, so in this photo you can see the two frame rail cushions that are currently positioned along the centre frame rail, just behind the coil area. If I'm hearing this correctly, you guys are saying that these rubber cushions should be mounted somewhere along the left and right outer frame rails .... right?

Since the tank is fastened front and rear with rubber mounts, thus allowing the tank to flex a bit .... are these two frame rail cushions intended as sort of a side to side movement bumper on the outer rails?

Still trying to understand their purpose and exact positioning.

Comment

Okay, so in this photo you can see the two frame rail cushions that are currently positioned along the centre frame rail, just behind the coil area. If I'm hearing this correctly, you guys are saying that these rubber cushions should be mounted somewhere along the left and right outer frame rails .... right?
                  I think those two cushions are right where they should be. Now you need two #8s. The little rubber pucks. They go forward of where your picture stops. They just sit on posts / pins mentioned before. The gas tank has "cups" that the pucks nest into.

Show us another picture. Back up a bit so we can see the steering stem.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I just stripped down a GS1100EX and those two bumpers were installed on the two horizontial downtubes directly above the horns and ahead of the coils. They don't protect the center of the tank but rather both sides of the leading edge of the tank that may contact the frame. Make sense? The fische orientation appears correct from the sample I saw
                    Last edited by srsupertrap; 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM.
                    Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      I think those two cushions are right where they should be. Now you need two #8s. The little rubber pucks. They go forward of where your picture stops. They just sit on posts / pins mentioned before. The gas tank has "cups" that the pucks nest into.
                      Thanks, but still not convinced those cushions are correctly positioned in my photo, but maybe? Everyone seems to be guessing so far.

With regards to the rubber pucks at the front ... no problem, I have those in place on their frame pins and their function is quite clear.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                        I just stripped down a GS1100EX and those two bumpers were installed on the two horizontial downtubes directly above the horns and ahead of the coils. They don't protect the center of the tank but rather both sides of the leading edge of the tank that may contact the frame. Make sense? The fische orientation appears correct from the sample I saw
                        Okay, that makes a bit of sense ... so I'll have a look. In essense you're saying that they do belong on the left and right outer top frame rails, and not the center rail as shown in my picture. And the functionality is starting to make some sense, as I just couldn't see what purpose they were having on the centre rail. I did find a picture of another GS upper frame area on this forum ... and these cushions were on these outer rails but a bit further back than the horn area. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

They do go on the 2 smaller tubes, not the main spine.

Doesn't matter if they're not there. Most bikes I've seen for years have had them missing.
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Thanks ... based on all this feedback, certainly convinced that's where they go .. so might as well have them parked correctly. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X