Bolt Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt Sizing

I know the suzuki part number has the size of the bolts embedded but the place near me for bolts seems to require more information.

For example, which size do i need to replace the infamous intake boot bolts? The part number is
    02112-06168

so thats 6x16, whats the 6? is that 0.6? Which do i need??!?

6x16 is the thread pitch? I would think they'd need the length also.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Im thinking it'll be the M6-1.0 X 16 , correct me before I go buy the wrong thing!

Comment

Hi,

Collected information on my little website:

Bolt Sizes

Maybe it will help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Cliff, I had read that before (like much of you site ) but its good to read again, if i understand correctly, the 6x16 bolts will be 6x1x16 and 5x16 bolts are actually 5x0.8x16?

Anyhow, I have compiled a list of all the bolts on the case of my bike, a GS550L, and I'll share it here;

Intake boots:
          8 06x16

Crankcase LH cover:
          5 06x40
          2 06x45
          1 06x35
          3 06x90
          1 06x80
          2 06x30
          3 05x16

Crankcase RH cover:
          1 06x45
          2 06x40
          4 06x25
          4 06x20
          2 05x30
          1 05x16

TOTALS
          3 06x90
          1 06x80
          3 06x45
          7 06x40
          1 06x35
          2 06x30
          4 06x25
          4 06x20
          8 06x16
          2 05x30
          4 05x16

39 Bolts Total

Comment

Hi,

Don't forget the bolts for the valve cover and breather.

Have you looked into a set of allen head bolts from Z1? (Click the picture.)

--------------------------------------------

Bolt Set - Suzuki GS550 77-79 Stainless Steel Set 673 NGSS-673
            -
            Includes 62 bolts and 3 Allen keys for a total of 65 pieces. Primarily all visible bolts on lower covers. Any extras shown here - Cylinder Head Cover, LH Cover, RH Cover.
            -----------------------------------------------

But no intake boot fasteners. I got mine from http://cycleorings.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              Im thinking it'll be the M6-1.0 X 16 , correct me before I go buy the wrong thing!

You are right. the first number is the diameter. the second is the pitch (this can be standard, coarse or fine) and the third number is the length.

in principle, the larger the diameter of the bolt the bigger the pitch (i.e. the distance between two threads). for 6mm bolt standard pitch is 1mm.

all measurements are in milimeters (mm).

suzuki used 4, 5, 6 and 8 mm bolts with standard pitch but M10 and M12 bolts have a fine thread.

to make things more confusing, some suzuki bolts dont have the lenght included in the part number
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                Yes. I'm not sure about the "1.0", but it is the standard pitch for a 6mm metric bolt. Ace or True Value will have them in stainless and also in carbon steel allens.

I also believe that the "8" in the part mumber means its a JIS 8.8 grade, which is somewhat below a SAE grade 5.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

Don't forget the bolts for the valve cover and breather.
                  Those arent the JIS screws are they? Im ok keeping bolts. Are there any other JIS screws I should be replacing? I hate them oh so very much!

Comment

Wow... I just got a quote on those bolts from a local bolt store and it came out to 74 bucks! how is Z1 so cheap!

Comment

Does anyone have a list of the bolt sizes in the set for GS750E from '79 linked below?
                      Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

- The shipping from USA to Denmark almost doubles the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Walle View Post
                        Does anyone have a list of the bolt sizes in the set for GS750E from '79 linked below?
                        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Read this Walle, posted above... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...-ends.html#A09
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Yes I know how to read the part number codes and I had already started going from part to part in the various microfiche, counting up the screws I need.
                          Them laziness struck me, hoping someone already did this work for his 750. -or a list of contents had come with the 65 part set from Z1, and i could have a copy from someone who bought it.

Comment

or actually, rather than laziness, it is more than im confident I will forget or mix up some screws/sizes in the process :P

Comment

Originally posted by Walle View Post
                              Don't buy anything from the U.S. Their shipping is way over the top. I just enquired about a 2" volt meter for my 550 and they wanted to charge me $53 shipping, the gauge only cost $12.50. To get the same item from the U.K. is $17 shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X