stuck bolt - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck bolt - help please!

as i was removing my clutch cover, i had to drill the head off a bolt that had already been stripped. The drilling was successful and the cover came off. I had to drill other bolt heads off and i simply had to use a grip wrench and unscrew the remaining portion of the bolt. One of the bolt remains, however, has not budged no matter how hard i try to turn it with my grip wrench. the bolt is also in between the clutch cover and the points cover, making it somewhat difficult to access. Anybody have any advice for removing the body of a drilled bolt?

if i am confusing please respond and let me know, and i will clarify and post a picture.

Thanks!

maybe soak it with penetrating oil for a week? I also hear using a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone makes an amazing penetrating compound, might give that a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by newGS300Lowner View Post
      as i was removing my clutch cover, i had to drill the head off a bolt that had already been stripped. The drilling was successful and the cover came off. I had to drill other bolt heads off and i simply had to use a grip wrench and unscrew the remaining portion of the bolt. One of the bolt remains, however, has not budged no matter how hard i try to turn it with my grip wrench. the bolt is also in between the clutch cover and the points cover, making it somewhat difficult to access. Anybody have any advice for removing the body of a drilled bolt?

if i am confusing please respond and let me know, and i will clarify and post a picture.

Thanks!

Heating the case around the bolt and then applying some penetrating oil will help.

It seems that the cooling draws the penetrant in somewhat like sweating a joint in copper piping.

No amount of penetrating oil will free it alone. A lot of people like to douse things and waste oil.

The heating and cooling followed by an affort to remove it will get you results.

keep repeating the process and do not use too much heat. There are a few youtube vids on this. Some use parrafin for a lubricant.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Heating the case around the bolt and then applying some penetrating oil will help.

It seems that the cooling draws the penetrant in somewhat like sweating a joint in copper piping.

No amount of penetrating oil will free it alone. A lot of people like to douse things and waste oil.

The heating and cooling followed by an affort to remove it will get you results.

keep repeating the process and do not use too much heat. There are a few youtube vids on this. Some use parrafin for a lubricant.

Good luck.
        It may also help to freeze the bolt with an upsidedown can of compressed air, same principle.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
          It may also help to freeze the bolt with an upsidedown can of compressed air, same principle.
          that is a primo suggestion it would allow you to take the two metals with disimialr coefficients of expansion and contractio to their extremes

I woul allow the heated portion cool to ambient temmp before hitting it with cold though. IT would be a nasty way of finding a faut int he casting.

Comment

We've been discussing some relatively new products in another thread that combine the "cold shot" with penetrating oil, the idea being that a ten to twenty second spray cools the bolt down to negative 40 degrees and the contraction not only helps break the corrosive bond, but also allows the oil to seep in faster than if you "spray and wait" a few days.

Loctite makes a product called "Freeze and Release," and there are several similar products by other manufacturers available as well ... worth a shot (pardon the pun)! I've linked to the Loctite product in that other thread

Regards,
            Steve

Comment

"Freeze and release" would be the new school and definitely a good product but if you want to go old school then other than heating the case, a CAREFUL drilling with 3mm drill in the middle of the bolt would release the pressure on the threads enough so you can unscrew it with a pair of pliers
              GS850GT

Comment

Weld a nut to the remainder of the bolt & back it out would be the quickest & safest. Ray.

Comment

i dont have access to a welder or any other fancy methods. i will try to heat it and use penetrating oil and let you guys know how that goes.

Thanks for all your replies!

Comment

is there enough threads to double nut it and get a wrench on the inner nut? That would give you something to grip to after heating, cooling, and oiling.

just a thought.
                    ---Eric

Comment

i was able to remove the bolt after being patient with wd 40 and borrowing a friends heavy duty grip wrench.

Thank you to all those who contributed!

Comment

Working...
                      X