How many Miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many Miles?

New GS550L owner who would like to know how many miles to expect from the motorcycle. Mine has 27,000, but is otherwise in good shap.

Hi and welcome to the nuthouse.

550s are as tough as old boots. If you service it regularly and properly it'll roll round the clock - probably one of the most unbreakable Jap 4s ever made. Cliff will be along soon for the official welcome. Have a look at his mega greeting - it will show you all you have to do to keep your bike in fine fettle.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Though I don't have eye-witness verification, I would expect your 550L would easily go 100,000 and more, without too much* maintenance

*whatever that means
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Mine needed some new gaskets at around 130,000 or so.
        They are among the most overbuilt and understressed engines in the history of engine making.
        Last edited by tkent02; 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Amen... Just pulled down a Gs1100GK motor because the base gasket started to weep a bit (would have left it, but, it needed cleaning anyway) at just a tick over 140,000. Never had the head off before that...

Comment

Jimcor was well over 100,000 miles on his 550L last time I heard...
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              They are among the most overbuilt and understressed engines in the history of engine making.
              Evidenced by has anyone ever sold a GS550 crank? You can't give them away.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

+1 on what everyone said here, many moons ago, when Granny was still a pin up, I used to race a GS550 motor in the back of my Formula M single seater, in 3 seasons of racing I pulled the valve cover once, when it spat out a shim, straight through the valve cover, got it home, re-shimmed the valves, welded up the hole in the valve cover and was good to go.
                But then I did spin that little motor to some seriously ridiculous RPM, they are built like brick sh*t houses.
                After the nuclear fallout the only thing left on this planet will be cockroaches and GS's.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  After the nuclear fallout the only thing left on this planet will be cockroaches and GS's.
                  Can I put this quote in my signature?
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    Cockroaches are tropical critters. They'd die off massively after all the air conditioning stopped working. So, after the nuclear fallout, the only thing left on this planet would be just GS's.

Comment

bear in mind that people are not saying that once you reach 100k miles or so that that's it. it only means you may need a set of new rings or possibly an overbore. then you're as good as new
                      GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                      X