Speedo Information Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Information Needed

I have a speedo/tacho instrument panel that I purchased from the States to go on my OZ GS550 project bike. It seems the predominant figures on the speedo are in miles with the subordinate figures in kilometers. Does this mean the trip meter and other meter readings (don't know what you call it) are in miles? I just need to know for servicing milage, etc.

On another issue but still related does anyone know a quick way to rewind the speedo milage to 00000?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2010, 07:33 AM.

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
    I have a speedo/tacho instrument panel that I purchased from the States to go on my OZ GS550 project bike. It seems the predominant figures on the speedo are in miles with the subordinate figures in kilometers. Does this mean the trip meter and other meter readings (don't know what you call it) are in miles? I just need to know for servicing milage, etc.

On another issue but still related does anyone know a quick way to rewind the speedo milage to 00000?

Thanks
    Don,
    odometer would be in miles

there was a thread a while back with people showing how to rewind it.
    thank Hampshirehog

Jim

Get the tensioner sorted?
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Don you need to get a speedo that goes higher than 85 mph otherwise you'll spend most of your riding bending the needle on your beast.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        Don,
        odometer would be in miles

there was a thread a while back with people showing how to rewind it.
        thank Hampshirehog

Jim

Get the tensioner sorted?
        Thanks Jim, I thought it was probably in miles, just wanted to make sure. Wally pointed out that the speedo does not read very high -- only about 90mph. Do you know what models have a higher reading speedo (cable driven). I think the one I purchased came off an '81 850.

BTW I sorted the tensioner mainly with Tom's (TKENT) help. He is a knowledgeable fellow on tensioners as well as other stuff. I learnt a valuable lesson with this one and that is to have a notebook on my work bench and to jot down jobs that need to be completed. I obviously screwed the cap nut on to hold the knurled knob in place and never tightened it up. And they both vibrated off. As I had only covered 10km it is obvious that I never tightened it at all, only screwed it on finger tight.

P.S. And Jim thanks for the link to Wally's thread on rewinding speedos. I searched and could not find it, but was sure I had read about it somewhere.

P.S.S. If anyone has a spare 120mph speedo at a good price, I am in the market for one.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Don you need to get a speedo that goes higher than 85 mph otherwise you'll spend most of your riding bending the needle on your beast.
          Thanks Wally. First of all for your thread on recalibrating the speedo and secondly for drawing my attention to the fact that I need a speedo that reads a bit higher than 85mph. Can't understand why Suzuki would have put an 85mph speedo on an 850 motorcycle than would be capable of way more than that.

Comment

Required in the US for a few years, 1980 to about 1984??, due to some politician's stupidity.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Required in the US for a few years, 1980 to about 1984??, due to some politician's stupidity.
              I know my original gauges went up to 140mph. A bit optimistic for a 550, but there you go. I have just purchased a speedo for an 1100 from the States on Ebay with only 2000 miles on it. So I will wait for that to arrive and get it fitted, that will save me winding the current speedo back.

Comment

Working...
              X