Highway Riding-longer distances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway Riding-longer distances

I just had new tires put on the bike. While discussing with the store owner about what kind of tires I wanted (tube vs tubeless) the owner mentioned that he didn't think he would want to ride my bike (a GS650) all the way to Colorado. (I live in Manhattan KS)

His reason was that the seating position plus lack of windshield means that arms and shoulders would become very tired.

I've seen on here that many people take their GSs on long trips.

So, I'm wondering what position you are sitting in when riding, and if you use a windshield, etc? Other thoughts?

He's full of it. Kansas is only one state over. Or he's trying to sell you a new bike.
    It's all just conditioning the torso and shoulder muscles.
    Getting the right handle bars for a good seating position leaning into the wind just the right amount helps.
    Good shocks and earplugs help too.
    1,000 mile days are easier with fairings, but they are hardly necessary.

If I had two bikes, one with a fairing and one without, I'd probably take the fairing bike for long miles, unless it was really hot out. But if I didn't have a bike with a fairing, I'd still go.

Where in Colorado are you headed?

Edit, I just noticed you have a 650L.
    I'd ditch the L bars first, get something that leans you into the wind like a standard bike.
    It's hard to know the correct amount of lean, but it only takes a little bit. If you have to reach for the bars, and if you have to support the weight of your body with abdominal muscles or by doing push ups on the bars, that's too far forward. If you are pulling on the bars to stay up at high speed that's not forward enough. Either one will wear you out in a few hours.

Another advantage of a slightly forward leaning position, road bumps are transmitted as a wave up your spine, bending each vertebra a little as it goes up. If you are sitting straight up, the spine has to compress more vertically, each vertibra gets smashed a little, the impact on each one all the way to your head is much harsher. Similar to jumping onto a locked knee, only not as severe. After long day of bumps your back will feel a lot better with the forward lean.
    Last edited by tkent02; 08-11-2010, 12:21 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Position: pretty much bolt upright, virtually NO weight on my arms.

Windshield: Like the American Express card, I won't leave home without it.

Back in May, Mrs. Steve and I delivered #2 son's bike to him by riding it from Dayton to Indianapolis. It was "only" 140 miles, but it was torture most of the way. The bike ran perfectly, but we are not accustomed to riding without a windshield, so I had to brace myself against the wind, and she also felt the wind. Caught a few more bugs than normal on the ride, too.

On my Wing and her 850L, we have done 600-mile days with virtually no problem, although 450-500 is more "normal" for us.

Back when she was still riding a 650L, we went from Dayton to Ashville, NC for a rally, round trip was about 900 miles, including the riding at the rally. Once she got the 850, we rode to Durango, CO for a rally, one-way distance was just over 2000 miles, before the ignitor died.

We have also gone to a rally in Nebraska a couple of times, the round trip is just over 2000 miles.

Just get your bike comfortable for you, then ignore the nay-sayers and go for your ride.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Airhawk seat pad, highway bars and a windshield are pretty much a necessity for me on a long trip. A cruise control (throttle lock) also helps. I usually have a GPS installed on the bike so I don't have to worry about getting lost.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          He's full of it. Kansas is only one state over. Or he's trying to sell you a new bike.
          It's all just conditioning the torso and shoulder muscles.
          Getting the right handle bars for a good seating position leaning into the wind just the right amount helps.
          Good shocks and earplugs help too.
          1,000 mile days are easier with fairings, but they are hardly necessary.

If I had two bikes, one with a fairing and one without, I'd probably take the fairing bike for long miles, unless it was really hot out. But if I didn't have a bike with a fairing, I'd still go.

Where in Colorado are you headed?

Edit, I just noticed you have a 650L.
          I'd ditch the L bars first, get something that leans you into the wind like a standard bike.
          It's hard to know the correct amount of lean, but it only takes a little bit. If you have to reach for the bars, and if you have to support the weight of your body with abdominal muscles or by doing push ups on the bars, that's too far forward. If you are pulling on the bars to stay up at high speed that's not forward enough. Either one will wear you out in a few hours.

Another advantage of a slightly forward leaning position, road bumps are transmitted as a wave up your spine, bending each vertebra a little as it goes up. If you are sitting straight up, the spine has to compress more vertically, each vertibra gets smashed a little, the impact on each one all the way to your head is much harsher. Similar to jumping onto a locked knee, only not as severe. After long day of bumps your back will feel a lot better with the forward lean.
          He wasn't trying to sell me any bikes, actually was trying to help me not spend too much money on tires. He did specifically mention the bars on the "L" bike and how they make you sit as a reason.

So what kind of options do I have as far as bars? Is there a recommended type for longer trips/higher speeds? I'm pretty new at all this.

I don't have any specific trip to Colorado in mind, that was just the example place we used for if I got a wild hair and jumped on the bike. We were talking tubed vs tubeless and he felt that if I were going to jump on the bike and ride to somewhere like that (as opposed to an hour away max) then I should consider the tubeless tires.

Comment

We were talking tubed vs tubeless and he felt that if I were going to jump on the bike and ride to somewhere like that (as opposed to an hour away max) then I should consider the tubeless tires.
            Not sure why he would recommend tubeless over tubed in terms of distance, I've done several 500 mile days with tubed tires without any problem.

Comment

Originally posted by superdave View Post

So what kind of options do I have as far as bars? Is there a recommended type for longer trips/higher speeds? I'm pretty new at all this.
              It all depends on your body and your bike. Try this, ride about 65 or 70 mph, lean forward until there is no load on your abdominal muscles or on your arms, you are 'balanced" against the wind. Make a mental note of this position, just what angle you are leaning. Go home and sit in the same position, put your hands where they naturally fall from this seating position. I use a couple pieces of broomstick in my hands to help visualize the distances you need to measure. Try it, your wife won't mind using a shorter broom for a while.
              Look at how far back from the handlebar clamps, how far above the clamps and the angle that your wrists naturally want to be at. Try twisting your wrists, there will be a certain angle that gives you the most steering power for the least effort, it will likely be when the broomsticks are nearly horizontal. Measure these distances and go to a bike shop to see which bars they have that are the closest to your measurements. A good bike shop will let you take the bars out to your bike, you can sit on it and get a feel for how they are shaped. You can buy them a lot cheaper on line, once you find out what you want. It may take a few tries to get it right, it's well worth the effort.

Small changes can have drastic results. My 750 has Superbike bend bars, great fun in a canyon at high speed, but my nuts go numb in about a half hour. I got some spacers to move the bars back about 1 1/2 inch, no more numb nuts, I can ride all day.

Once you have lower bars you will be amazed at how much more control you have over the bike, as I said small changes go a long way, and the L bars are WAY to high and far back. To me it feels like using a sailboat tiller to steer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tube or tubeless has nothing to do with length of trip riding.

get the best tires you can afford.
                get the proper tires for your wheels.

I have logged thousands of miles on cheap 'ol ching shin s'

I advise you to take a long trip just as your bike sits. Take a little notebook and write down your thoughts and likes and dis likes.

modify to your taste--- kind of like seasoning while cooking what I like might not be what you like.

I hate foam grips, I like dirt bike grips. they feel good under my deerskin gloves. Detail stuff like that will make your bike better for you.

modifying the seat is another option ex. better foam, concave shape
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

for most old guys highway pegs really help the knees. Just don't get them so big you cant do the twisties.

A cruise control for the throttle will also give your right hand relief on Long rides.

The $1 quarter throttle mod also helps relieve wrist stress as the is less movement required and you can keep the wrist at a more relaxed angle.

Good seat padding is also a must.

I run a quarter fairing and almost any kind of fairing will reduce buffeting and fatuige.

Comment

Just go.

Figure out what improvements you need to make with your own experience. My brothers won't use a windshield or fairing. It didn't stop them from making back to back 600+ mile days on our back road tour from the Oregon coast to the Maine coast last summer without complaint.

Two of them want different handlebars next time, but they don't both want the same thing.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Just a side note: You can put a tube in tubeless tires. Don't let that limit your tire choice. I just thought I would mention that.

Comment

Working...
                      X