Speedo Cable Lubrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Cable Lubrication

I read much about the speedo cable lubrication but what is what is recomended for my 750? My friend tells me to go graphite. What do y'all think?

I use motor oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Nandy View Post
      I read much about the speedo cable lubrication but what is what is recomended for my 750? My friend tells me to go graphite. What do y'all think?
      I like wheel bearing grease as it is sticky and also helps to reduce needle bounce

Comment

I'm with Jim. I also use wheel bearing grease. Just pull the inner cable out, wash it in gasoline, dry it off and lube with grease and replace. My needle has no bounce either. If fact i just bought an as new speedo for a GS1100 with only 2k miles on it. Plan to fit it soon.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

** Bump **

Silly question from a newb: do you have to disconnect the cable from the sending unit at the front hub to remove for lubrication, or can it be pulled out of the top end of the cable housing behind the gauge?
            Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skaat View Post
              ** Bump **

Silly question from a newb: do you have to disconnect the cable from the sending unit at the front hub to remove for lubrication, or can it be pulled out of the top end of the cable housing behind the gauge?
              Usually, the inner cable has a shoulder fitting on it, where it connects into the drive gear, so the cable comes out from the bottom.

Wash the outer part/sheath with solvent, then run a few drops of medium-weight oil through it, hang it up and let drain for a minute or so.

Try holding the inner cable by one end then pulling it a few times across a rolled bit of emery cloth, because sometimes you get a bit of fraying, and the sharp edges get worse, then grab. Note the direction of the winding on the cable, so you can make it smooth.

Finally, put a bit of any good automotive grease on a cloth and pull the cable through it.

Re-install the cable and you are good to go...and it should go for a long time.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X