How to cure loose center stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cure loose center stand?

New exhaust which by accident allows me to put the center stand on. So I bought one on ebay and and it came with a spring but it looks like it will probably come off after a bump or two.

Q. Is there no way to lock the center stand up so it does not bounce around? Or do I just need a really good spring? Even with a new spring it seems like it will bounce around. I would like to have some sort of quick release retainer to hold it up. I read some have put a rubber bumper, which I guess would hold the stand down a little and put tension the the spring, yes? Where to put said bumper?

I can't be the first one thinking of this so what has worked in the past?

Many thanks, friends!

Loose Center Stand

On the stock exhaust for an 82/83 1100E/ES, there was a small bracket welded on that accepted a small round rubber bumper - strategically placed so as to align with the center stand and keep it under tension in the up position. This was on the left side of the stand, and on the left exhaust megaphone. Your new 4 into 1 exhaust, exiting on the right, is the source of your issue. (see the OEM stand microfiche for a visual of the rubber bumper, item #7.)

I'm not sure of a "standard" fix for the issue, but I suppose you could fab a similar bracket to the right side frame in the same general area and accomplish the same thing with a stock bumper added. Good luck.
    Scott
    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
    sigpic

Comment

Super info - thanks!

I took the stand back off for now. It was rubbing on the clamp for the megaphone when I put the stand up/down, anyway. I guess I'll put the stand on only when I need to do some work.

Anyone out there with a 4-1 find a easily repeatable solution for center stand retention and bumper?

Thanks,
      -Bob

Comment

Loose center stand

Opps - I suggested adding a bracket on the right side - it needs to be on the left side to align with the bumper on the center stand in the factory position. It'll look funny with no exhaust there, but as you mentioned, putting it on when you need it would work most of the time (except when you get a flat tire when you're out on the road....running tubeless tires?)
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

I am so embarassed: I came across the center stand retention bracket which came with my exhaust. I forgot all about it and came across it in my discarded parts bucket. You can see it now in use on my bike in this little video.

Comment

Working...
          X