Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel bearings

I am planning to remove the wheels on my 78 GS550 to have them powder coated. Since I have to remove the bearings I figured I would just replace them. Well, seems I am discovering a wide range of prices when it comes to bearings....everything from $9.00 a kit for the front and $9.00 for the rear, all the way up to $84.00 for a complete front/rear kit from the factory. Does anyone know if the $84.00 factory bearing kit is priced fairly? Anyone know of a good source for buying quality aftermarket bearing kits?

Be sure your powder coater plugs the hubs so no material can get in the bearing seats.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Be sure your powder coater plugs the hubs so no material can get in the bearing seats.
      Absolutely, we already discussed that.

Comment

just thought i would mention it..have seen some pretty stupid stuff in my day!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

They're just wheel bearings. $84 would seem a tad excessive - I'd pay less than £10 a wheel.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            They're just wheel bearings. $84 would seem a tad excessive - I'd pay less than £10 a wheel.
            I was thinking the same thing. I questioned the price and was told.."these are factory bearings", I told him I was going to do a bit of research before ordering. eBay sells kits for just under $9.00 for each wheel plus shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
              I was thinking the same thing. I questioned the price and was told.."these are factory bearings", I told him I was going to do a bit of research before ordering. eBay sells kits for just under $9.00 for each wheel plus shipping.
              I did a rebuild on a TS250 for a guy who insisted on everything being new Suzuki. New main bearings cost around £100 in the red S box. When I opened them up they were stamped 'made in Germany'. Like I said, they're just bearings....
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Z1 sells All Balls bearings for about $5 each, or $10 per wheel. and they work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  I did a rebuild on a TS250 for a guy who insisted on everything being new Suzuki. New main bearings cost around £100 in the red S box. When I opened them up they were stamped 'made in Germany'. Like I said, they're just bearings....

I just priced a set for the front and rear on eBay that also includes seals with the bearings. The complete price including shipping will be $37.60.

Thats a substantial savings over the $84.00 the dealer wanted which did not include seals. Pretty sad considering I have been doing business with the same dealer for over 20ys. I have purchased several bikes and a watercraft over the years and have spent countless amounts in the service dept. I thought maybe they would have offered a better price. But I guess customer loyalty means nothing to them. Oh well!!

Comment

The OE bearings are typically made in Japan, from a major bearing house. Those All Ball's bearings (or those ebay offerings) are going to be from China or maybe India. I suspect the cheaper parts are fine but might not last as long.

Partsnmore.com sells some made in Japan bearings for cheap so you might want to check them out.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Germany makes fine bearings. So does Japan. USA, maybe. China, Korea? India? Dunno.
                      Any bearing supply place will have a selection.
                      $84? Wow.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The OE bearings are typically made in Japan, from a major bearing house. Those All Ball's bearings (or those ebay offerings) are going to be from China or maybe India. I suspect the cheaper parts are fine but might not last as long.

Partsnmore.com sells some made in Japan bearings for cheap so you might want to check them out.
                        Thank you for the link

Comment

Working...
                        X