OEM Gaskets???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Gaskets???

Okay, I learned the hard way (twice) that OEM valve cover gaskets are the way to go. No leaky, I likey...

Partshark has always been my go-to for OEM stuff, followed by BikeBandit...but low and behold they've both quit carrying the valve cover gasket for my GS750EX.

I checked my local Suzuki shop's parts list and it's gone from there too, so what's up? It's the same as the 1100E gasket which is also discontinued. AND it's the same as the 750L WHICH THEY STILL CARRY!!???

So my poor ole "E" will get an "L" gasket the next time it needs one, but I'm starting to get concerned about Suzuki's support for these older bikes. Maybe it's just the 16V motors???

Anybody else having troubles or located another good source?
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

I can't even begin to imagine why you're having a problem.
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Between ebay, aftermarket and oem suppliers, I have never had a problem
      getting parts for my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
        Between ebay, aftermarket and oem suppliers, I have never had a problem
        getting parts for my bike.

Well Parts Shark is not showing the 81 SG750EX item #2 (valve cover gasket) So I went and grabbed a spare on ebay.

Comment

So I went and grabbed a spare on ebay.
          Exactly the point I was trying to make, you did not have any problem finding one.

Comment

Not to worry

It's just a matter of the OEM being superceded and some of the mircrofiches being goofed up. The OEM number is 11173-49204 and it's been superceded to 11173-49207-H17. It'll probably be available for many, many years to come. (Besides, the Vesrah VCG's work well and I'm sure others do too.)
            1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

There's no way those gaskets have been discontinued
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

80-81 750 16v.
                80-81 1100 16v.
                same animal..i have 2 OEM's hanging out.
                i don't believe they are discontinued.

Comment

Exactly the point I was trying to make, you did not have any problem finding one.
                  Not sure about your poitn; if they were discontinued they would become more scare on ebay as well

Comment

Not sure about your poitn; if they were discontinued they would become more scare on ebay as well
                    My point is that they are not discontinued, the same valve cover gasket is used on the L model. Whatever part number the OP was looking for was superceded by another part number or the fiche that was on the site was not correct.

I just looked at the fiche on babbits online and the gasket is still listed, part number 11173-49204.

Comment

My point is that they are not discontinued, the same valve cover gasket is used on the L model. Whatever part number the OP was looking for was superceded by another part number or the fiche that was on the site was not correct.

I just looked at the fiche on babbits online and the gasket is still listed, part number 11173-49204.

sorry I got the impression wthat your point was the gaskets were easy to buyy on ebay; my bad

Comment

I got mine from Z1. Only because at that time it was easier than going down to the city twice to get one from the Zook dealer (250km).

Comment

"OEM" gaskets

Well I'm glad everyone here is satisfied that Suzuki brand gaskets will always be available . 'Cause I'm not looking forward to making gaskets and, yes I have Vesrahs in the garage as well (though I hope I won't have to use it as the last two leaked).

I guess I got a little spooked when I came across several parts lists where item 2 (the gasket) was omitted.

Yes, I know part numbers get superceeded. But where I was looking, they had disappeared .

I also know enough to go looking for other 1980-1981 750 -1100 16V models for the same part. That's why I bought a 1980 750L piece.

You all seem to have a lot of confidence in eBay too.... not me.

I'm getting old enough that I may only need to change the gasket one more time anyway

Have a great ride...
                          sigpic
                          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            80-81 750 16v.
                            80-81 1100 16v.
                            same animal..i have 2 OEM's hanging out.
                            i don't believe they are discontinued.
                            same gasket/same valve cover
                            Last edited by blowerbike; 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM. Reason: me

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                              I'm getting old enough that I may only need to change the gasket one more time anyway

Have a great ride...
                              I hope that's not the case!
                              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X