Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running terrible after oil change. What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running terrible after oil change. What?

I recently acquired an 82 GS1100GL w/ 31k miles. It doesn't have any air filter on the carbs but I cleaned all of the carbs completely, set the screws, cleaned the tank, charged the battery. It started right up, ran very smooth with steady idle and I rode it around a little. I knew it had 20w-50 oil in it. So I drained the oil and put 3.6qrts of 10w-40 in. Now the motor makes a lot of noise, it idles sporadically and wants to die. Then the oil light comes on. All I did was drain the old oil and put 10w-40 in. Please help.

it won't run right without air filters. It will run way lean.

Comment

No more running it till you figure out what you did or didn't do ! I'll assume that 3.6 qts of 10w-40 stayed in motor. Someone in this forum will point you in right direction soon enough, but don't run it if oil light is on. Did you replace oil filter?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

kdo58 - with all due respect i know that. tom - I did not change the filter, and yes the oil did remain in the case.

Comment

I thought you said it does not have a air filter.

Comment

with out air filters if it even runs, it would run like crap. Possibly be so lean as to put holes in the top of your pistons.

Comment

I am not worried about my carbs right now kdo, I'm going to put filters on them. I'm more concerned about why my motor sounds like it has rocks in the head and my oil light came on when i changed my oil.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                with out air filters if it even runs, it would run like crap. Possibly be so lean as to put holes in the top of your pistons.
                no piston holes guys.
                no way no how.
                not good to run lean..yes.
                will it damage/hole pistons...no.

Comment

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is get it running the optimum way - fresh and stock air filter, cleaned carbs, fresh oil, valve adjustment, new plugs - and then work from there.

Now with that said, I wonder if it could be a bad sensor?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by marcopasco39 View Post
                    I am not worried about my carbs right now kdo, I'm going to put filters on them. I'm more concerned about why my motor sounds like it has rocks in the head and my oil light came on when i changed my oil.
                    ok..
                    where did you drain the oil from and where did you pour in the new oil?
                    what your saying makes no sense.

Comment

if you over fill an engine with oil that can make the engine light act stupid.
                      if you drained the gear box oil instead of engine oil then this is what may be happening.

Comment

I drained it from the 21mm drain bolt on the bottom and filled it at the cap behind the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopasco39 View Post
                          I drained it from the 21mm drain bolt on the bottom and filled it at the cap behind the clutch.
                          how much oil came out?
                          the correct engine oil drain is about centered on the oil pan i believe.

Comment

About 3.5-3.6 qts. I measured to be sure. My sidestand light also came on when my oil light came on.

Comment

those are all just idiot lights.
                              if you turn the key on without starting the bike you should see several lights on.
                              i also believe if the bike is running bad and ready to die then all those lights will flicker as the engine idles down really low(near stalling).
                              as far as your problem goes...i am stumped.

Comment

Working...
                              X