Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running terrible after oil change. What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I hope marcopasco keeps us updated as we discuss 10-40 vs 20-50 oils. From his original post, I assumed he first "cleaned " carbs, was happy with result ( rode bike ) , and then opted to change oil - at which point, things went downhill. Or did he do both at same time?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Both 10W40 and 20W50 will be the same thickness at normal engine operating temperature. It is below and above this temperature that the thickness of the two differ.

Craig

Comment

in the end......
        the weight of the oil used did not make his bike run bad or "cloak" any pre-existing problems.
        kind-of-a-silly-thread title anyways as it may have happened that way but one had nothing to do with the other.

Comment

Has he reported back? It would be interesting to know the cause.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Sorry I have not replied in quite some time. I fired her back up a couple days ago and it ran better than it did before. Smoother but still with a little too much noise. I believe the lights came on only because it was about to die at idle. I still need to order air filters for the carbs and fire it back up. I will also get an oil filter and replace that. Then we will see what happens. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks for update - get those filters on and let us know.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I know it's been awhile but I finally got her back together. I re-changed the oil, putting 20-50 in. Changed the filter too and put exactly 3.6qts. in. I also got pod filters and i re-jetted the carbs to 130. It has a 4-1 exaust too. It fired right up and runs great! I am still getting some rattle in the head though.. It sounds like the valves and increases with rpms but i'm not too sure. Could it be that the oil drained to the case and it needs to get flowing? I only ran it for about 4-5 minutes. Or could I need a valve adjustment? Maybe the cam chain? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Other than that noise, it's running very strong with the new intake setup. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopasco39 View Post
                  I know it's been awhile but I finally got her back together. I re-changed the oil, putting 20-50 in. Changed the filter too and put exactly 3.6qts. in. I also got pod filters and i re-jetted the carbs to 130. It has a 4-1 exaust too. It fired right up and runs great! I am still getting some rattle in the head though.. It sounds like the valves and increases with rpms but i'm not too sure. Could it be that the oil drained to the case and it needs to get flowing? I only ran it for about 4-5 minutes. Or could I need a valve adjustment? Maybe the cam chain? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Other than that noise, it's running very strong with the new intake setup. Thanks guys.

If this bike is new to you then most certainly adjust the vaves.
                  its normal routine maintenance like oil but with a longer interval.

i use a light oil and get a modest clatter but 20-40 and its gone.

Comment

It was the cam chain! I adjusted it while at idle and now it's quiet as a mouse. I'll take it for a couple of rides then I'll do a valve adjustment. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

You're SURE you didn't put too much oil or too little oil?

Cause I put too much oil in one time, and it ran kinda choppy and was just acting funny.

Then another time, my oil was critically low, and the bike kept wanting to stall on me and overheat.
                      (the minute I added more oil, it ran better and stopped stalling and overheating)
                      -------

Does your bike's tranny share the same oil as the engine?
                      If so, make sure you drain the tranny plug too!

Check the peep hole or dipstick and make sure oil level is correct.

---------

Also, get a damn air filter man!

These bikes WILL run extremely wacky without an air filter sometimes.
                      I mean you can Idle it without one, but I wouldn't wanna ride it!

Comment

Working...
                      X