Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement seat compatibility for '81 GS1000GL ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement seat compatibility for '81 GS1000GL ??

Hello all, New member here. Gave a quick intro in the members area.

I recently purchased a 1981 1000GL. I would like to replace the seat on it. The seat that is currently on it is not original by any means but it does fit in the mounts and is functional, kind of. The rear supports on the seat pan are slightly elevated above the frame.

My question is what other seats models/years are compatible with this frame? I have found an '82 850GL seat on ebay and am wondering if it will work?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks everyone!

Here are some shots of my current seat and frame:

There were some changes from the '81 to '82 bikes, but thanks to your pictures, I think an '82 850L seat might work.
    That looks a LOT like the support/latch system on my wife's bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's also the same on the '80 850L. I think you'll find though, the 850L seat is a couple of inches shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        There were some changes from the '81 to '82 bikes, but thanks to your pictures, I think an '82 850L seat might work.
        That looks a LOT like the support/latch system on my wife's bike.

My only hesitation on the ebay item is that I talked to the seller and he says it will not work with my bike, but he could possibly be thinking that mine is the same as an '80 which is different, I believe.

Thanks for the info. Auction ends tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll better make a decision soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          It's also the same on the '80 850L. I think you'll find though, the 850L seat is a couple of inches shorter.
          Ahh, that could be the case. Hmmm. .

Comment

Working...
          X