Turn signals for a GS 650 GLZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals for a GS 650 GLZ

I just bought a GS 650 GLZ and it did not have any rear turn signals. I am looking for some LED type turn signals to put on the bike. I am unsure if my bike has 10mm threads or 8mm threads or if LED lights are even a possibility without modification to the wiring system. Unfortunately the bike did not come with an owners manual either! If anyone has suggestions on what brands and or models of tail lights would work I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. armyguy1224,

These bikes take standard signal stalks. They have cheap ones at partsnmore.com. If you want to convert to LED signals then you will probably have to replace the stock flasher. The stock flasher has to work with a certain amount of load and LEDs will not have enough resistance for the flasher to work properly. See the turn signal replacement guide on my website for my story.

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I looked at the partsnmore website and they have tail lights that have 1-3 wires, will the bike take any of these (maybe thats what you meant by standard?).

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

ok I read up on your relay replacement Bass, and I have a question. will that flasher you used on your 850 work for just replacing the stock turn signals with LED? I know I need to do something about the load after reading the little bit on the other mega welcome page, but am NOT in any way an electrical guy so I kind of need to know just what to buy on a budget so I can put it on. LOL. the previous owner messed up a couple of the signals on my bike so I purchased low profile LED's to replace the big rectangular ones, but like evertyhing I've read I'm experiencing the whole low load thing where they will come on when you turn on the signal switch, but will not flash.

Comment

I opened up the signal flasher. Is it something as simple as changing the resistor? Is that what you were talking about in the guide?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the flasher I used in my turn signal replacement guide will work for LEDs too. If you are really on a budget, you can usually find a small can flasher (552 or 522) that will plug right into the stock socket. You will lose the "auto canceling" feature of the blinkers but they should still work. See the Electrical Odds and Ends page of my little website.

The guide on my website is all about replacing the stock flasher unit with a standard aftermarket unit (because they're much cheaper).

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, what about that adapter

Comment

Hi,

The socket I used is just a standard aftermarket relay socket. The cheap 2-prong can flashers will fit in the stock socket.

BassCliff

Comment

ok I picked up the flasher unit. they didnt have the adapters (autozone was out of the cheaper ones so I got the 3 prong) so I am just going to go with female ends. we'll see if everything works
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X