Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil everywhere

HI,
    My 850 is leaking oil like an HD. I fear I'm going to light up like the Ghost Rider on my way home. Mostly seems to come from the top front of the engine. I just replaced the Tach cable and could not find a espcially leaky spot. What and where are the ususal suspects?
    Tks,
    Bill

Valve cover gasket. Best clean the engine really well then spray the front with a white powder like Ahlete's foot spray or the like. Start it up and watch.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
      Valve cover gasket. Best clean the engine really well then spray the front with a white powder like Ahlete's foot spray or the like. Start it up and watch.
      Tach drives always ooze, too. But without cleaning it to see you will never know.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Camshaft end seals (half moon) under the chrome end caps. they'll soak you like a monsoon if they come out.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

As long as the leak is high up on the engine, it almost can't be anything bad. The tach drive, valve cover gasket, and half moons are no big deal.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I second the valve cover gasket. When mine was emulating the Hardleys and marking its territory the problem stopped when I installed a brand new RealGasket.

Comment

haha my 81 1100e leak too from everywhere except the valve cover gasket cause i did a valve adjustment not too long ago. from the looks of mine, i leak from the head gasket, block to crankcase gasket, cc halves, and i think thats it. but i will check the half moon after reading this

Comment

Just remember the old adage (a mechanic friend shared this with me ... in jest) "If you ADD oil you're going to USE oil!"

Good luck tracking down your leaker!

Regards,

Comment

oilly mess

Well, I cleaned, hunted, tightened, powdered and finally opened the valve cover slipped the half moons out, chalked them with some goo and returned everything to its rightful place and the Valdez stopped leaking, almost. At least it isn’t spraying oil all over my leg and boots anymore. The unsightly smoking quit also, I guess chastising the motor about the dangers of smoking didn’t do as much good as fixing the leak. This winter when the ice is on the ground and I have to drive four wheels I’ll do some serious repairs. I’m 10,000.02 mile away from tripping the odometer, now I wish the meter went to a million!
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X