Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Master Cylinder Help

Hello,
    First of all let me introduce myself. I have been the happy owner of a 1981 gs550tx for about three months, same amount of time I have been trolling this forum and basscliff's awesome pictorials.
    I recently noticed a little pool on the left hand side(while seated on bike) and a minimal amount of brake fluid on my front brake lever. The thing that has got me confused is that I have now noticed that the master cylinder reservoir isn't seated entirely because as the pictures show, it isn't flush. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to set back flush again. I can't/don't want to muscle on it too hard before consulting the forum.

Also this is not the result of a sudden gravitational equalization. No spills just thrills on this guy so far. Also I covered the holes and reservoir and when i engaged the handle it made suction so I am pretty sure the the rest of the master cylinder is fine.

Comment

There should be a o-ring under there that may be torn up or swollen not allowing it to set flush. two screws inside should remove, take off and have a look. Should be able to order new o-ring if needed. terrylee

Comment

I wanted to, just wanted to make sure that was all that was keeping it together. I pulled it off and check out that gunk. I bought a new o-ring and it still won't sit flush but I feel confident anyways since the oil should keep at the o-ring and the seating of the assembly is minor, right?

Comment

Do yourself a favor and tear down your brake system and clean out the gunk in your master cylinder and calipers

What you have there is a receipe for disaster
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Done and done. After I saw the gunk in the master I cleaned the whole brake assembly and ordered the stainless lines and fixings for my own lines, I can't imagine how bad the stock ones must be.

Comment

I am about to go through the same thing. I am replacing my factory master cylinder with one that has a straight mount as opposed to the steep angle of my factory one. This is because I switched from the factory roto tiller bars to Daytona bars.

I am going to order the piston, diaphram, stainless line, new caliper piston, boots, pads, etc. Brakes are not something I want to do half *ss, so I am going to do it all.

My question is should I order pads from Z1, or go with the factory Suzuki pads? Has anyone used brake pads from Z1?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzhund View Post
                I am about to go through the same thing. I am replacing my factory master cylinder with one that has a straight mount as opposed to the steep angle of my factory one. This is because I switched from the factory roto tiller bars to Daytona bars.

I am going to order the piston, diaphram, stainless line, new caliper piston, boots, pads, etc. Brakes are not something I want to do half *ss, so I am going to do it all.

My question is should I order pads from Z1, or go with the factory Suzuki pads? Has anyone used brake pads from Z1?

Mark
                The EBC pads are good pads. I run them on both my bikes. Vesrah is another brand that has a good following.
                I would not go OEM, things have improved since then.

Comment

Working...
                X