Reassemble Front Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassemble Front Forks

Changing out the fork seals on my 82 GS650. Got a problem trying to put the forks back together. As you can see in the pic I have the forks split.

I can't get the bushing on the upper fork to go into the lower fork. The ring (bushing) in the lower fork is stopping it. Have I assembled it wrong??

I believe the upper fork goes in first than slide the bushing down over the tube in place, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Having just done this you have to take that top bushing out then put it in after you get the stanchion tube in.The lower bushing will not go in otherwise.The top can be a bit hard to get in that way but with some work it will go in.

Comment

if i recall correctly, there is resistance there which too had me perplexed last year.

you simply need to force the issue, quickly, not slowly, with some momentum. me thinks it is supposed to be tight. i just gave it a quick but firm push, and the upper bushing was below the ring before i knew it. and then the same resistance was there in the opposite direction...to get it out, you'd need a quick pull.

please, though, wait for a pro...i am a newbie in every sense of the word.

Comment

It will probably be a trick to get that seal out without damaging it. May need new.

Comment

Working...
          X